Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newone here  (Read 411 times)

scarletraven87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
newone here
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:41:52 am »

Hello there.
I find this mode to be very intresting, well, a 50 percent of it.
I love the digging, and planning, fortess designing part. I love bulding up underground 3d cities and forts. I'd love to play the underground exploration, expansion, and I'd love to see a sige.
But on the other hand ... well ... it's not that I don't like RTS games, you see. I've been playing them since I were young... started with Dune2 heh heh. But when I load a game I can't get to enjoy the micro that it takes to not screw the fortess from the inside. To order a farm to farm, and to tell what it should farm ... to tell the cattle&horses they should still be outdoor eating the grass until I find a way to get food indoor ... it has been weeks and still I can't get past the basics. Such micro management is just not part of me, and even tough I dreamed of such a game I can't get along with it because of some aspects.

So I registred to wonder, to ask, is there a way to play it with a semplified management? Will there ever be?
Thanks.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: newone here
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:55:11 am »

Simple answer: not really and probably not.

The micromanagement is sort of "part of" the game.  In that your dorfs are so monumentally stupid that the best you can do is nudge the whole dwarven society in general to do your jobs and hope to Armok that one of them decides to do it before he dies a miserable and painful death. 

The first couple of years are the toughest when you are getting your industries up and running and digging out your fort.  After that it does get considerably easier as your industries and resources will (hopefully) be running smoothly and well-stocked, and you will be spending more time playing with the military and experiencing !!FUN!! visitors.

Something that I suspect you have not done, and that you definitely need to do, is set up a manager.  Go to the (n)obles screen and assign someone to be the manager.  Then build him a little office with a chair and a table and assign them to him.  You will now have access to the job manager screen (j)-(m)-(q) where you can easily assign new jobs to be done and a dwarf with appropriate skills will (eventually) get around to it without having to micromanage every single action.

Also, try Dwarf Therapist.  I don't use it personally because I enjoy a lot of the micromanagement, but I suspect it will also dramatically reduce the amount of work required for you to manage your dorfs' job skills and such.

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: newone here
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:56:18 am »

Well yes, later on in the game most of the fortress will become self automated, and the job manager makes things a lot easier too.

Unfortunately, early game there will be a lot of micro, and this is largely because early game there are a lot of things that can screw your fort over.