Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sweet Stories  (Read 1297 times)

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
Sweet Stories
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:15:40 pm »

My second glassmaker to be taken by a mood, demanded solely raw green glass, produced this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I checked, the dwarf enshrined in this perfect gem... is a COMPLETELY unskilled peasant who is the glassmaker's one and only friend. It's... really strangely sweet for this game.

Anyone else have something like this happen? Something that kind of makes you feel for the little beardy ones even as they run about covered in kitten blood?
Why is this covered in blood?

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Stories
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:23:12 pm »

When dwarves rush through a pitched battle to retrieve injured comrades!

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:27:02 pm »

My entire fortress except two woodcutters (who were in the caverns at the time) was slaughtered, and the fortress was un-redeemable, the drawbridge locked from the other side and all migrants were slaughtered the moment they entered the fort. The woodcutters fell in love and had many children, building wooden huts and setting up little cavern farms. It was beautiful. Then a pond grabber killed the husband and the wife went insane. The end.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:32:10 pm by tommy521 »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 05:44:14 pm »

Nothing spectacular Lately. I do remember a dwarf saving her dog from a goblin snatcher once, though.

If I'm remembering correctly, a goblin snatcher had just been spotted by my armorer, who swiftly received an iron blade to the gut by said goblin as it was making its escape.
It crossed paths with a war dog, who proceeded to bite, claw, and generally put up a good fight. Once it reached the grassy area above my fortress entrance, it had apparently had enough, and slashed the dog in two of its legs.

The dog refused to give up, and kept attacking. I sit there thinking "well shit, I'm gonna lose this awesome little guy to the snatcher" when OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE, a bolt comes flying through the air, and hits the goblin right in the hand. It drops its dagger and bag, and begins to run off, leaving a trail of blood. The hunter(who is actually the one that trained the dog, if I recall) appears, fires another bolt, and kills the goblin.
This hunter and her dog became an amazing pair, after a few more times of seeing them help each other out, I finally assigned the dog to her. They stuck together til the end of the fortress.

An amazing tale those two had, I will have to look them up in legends sometime...

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:46:24 pm »

After a recent [CLOWN] invasion, my population dwindled from 200 to 40 dwarves. My army went from 20 elite dwarfs and 10 marksdwarfs to 2 elite dwarfs and a marksdwarf. Out of those 2 was my militia commander (legendary speardwarf lady), and a legendary macedwarf man. The commander was part of the original 7 and the mace dwarf was in the very 1st wave of migrants. They were happily married for 10-ish years.

Now, the macedwarf man had been hospitalised for 4 years (stuck in a traction bench for a broken foot and I forgot to remove him from the bench) and wasn't quite at the stage of 'Not caring about anything anymore'. He lost a fair few friends, went unhappy, then miserable, then berserk. Right in the middle of the dining hall. Killed his wife, 20 other dwarfs and was shot down by the remaining marksdwarf.

Ok, 15 or so dwarfs left, all of whom are miserable except the marksdwarf (who was the captain of the guard and had quite a lot of fun pummelling tantruming dwarfs). Queue tantrum spiral, I give the marksdwarf a silver warhammer to defend himself from the berserkers. He kills eeeevery last one of the survivors, either through law or self defence.

I abandoned. Let me recap; a dwarf went insane, killed his wife and some acquaintances, was shot by his friend the captain of the guard who then had to fight his friends and acquaintances and ended up killing them all. The entire time there was miasma and smoke seeping from the bottom of my fortress to all throughout the fort. And I also had Space Jam playing in the background on repeat. I love this game.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:22 pm »

I don't think you quite understand what the OP meant by "Sweet"
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:32 am »

Sort of bittersweet, but still touched my heart enough write a story about it:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63861.0

tl;dr version:

Zulban Rulbomrek was one of the first wardogs I trained in a new fort.  I assigned her to Numal Dumatalmôsh, a brand new militia-woman - I think one of the first migrants.  In the first ambush, only a couple years after the fort was built and before I had any kind of military or much in the way of traps, Numal was pincushioned by a goblin crossbowman and died.  Zulban attacked the goblin who dodged into one of my few traps which killed it.  Zulban survived through several more ambushes, got shot with arrows and bolts, got several kills to his name and grew to be covered with scars from old injuries. 

And for the rest of the life of the fort (something like 12 years) Zulban never left the area where his master died. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »

This dwarf, this Avuz Oarroses, bring him to me. I would make him our citadel's champion against the beasts in the dark. It has been foretold that we would have a champion, and your worker, in his madness, has revealed that champion to us with this sign, this artifact. Avuz must be your fortress champion, train him well and watch him grow.

Seriously, make that dorf into your militia and train him, equip him and watch him own face. The game has even told you he would be great. It is pretty cool though. If Avuz were to die though, the artifact maker is to be renamed "Forever Alone."
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?