Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underground caverns  (Read 3253 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Underground caverns
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »

I think most of that roared over my head at 800 MPH, but I think I get the general idea and will try it after this colosseum.

Sorry. Which parts did or didn't make sense to you?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »

Nah it wasn't you at all, I'm just rather new at how the physics work in the game works.

"have them pastured along a balcony"
Only tame creatures can be pastured if I am right, so this involves me catching a GCS and taming it, which I could probably figure out.  As of currently my caverns are being guarded by a giant flying hairy earthworm with deadly blood so I'll have to deal with that first.

The rest of it I get, and picture in my head as turrets firing through grates at a hallway below, the turrets being GCSs.

Top Layer
+|##|+
S|##|S
+|##|+
S|##|S
+|##|+

# being grate, S being GCS
+ being floor, | just being a divider for my eyes

|^^|
|^^|
|^^|
|^^|
|^^|

Would be right below it, ^ being cages. The tame spiders would just fire away at the FB as it comes through. I read somewhere they have to have a path to the creature to be able to shoot it so i'd make sure they could but stay on the ledge.

Right?
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 08:45:35 pm »

Here's a hint for making drawing on the forums. Use [ code ] and [ /code ]tags (without the spaces). Everything inside of them will be in a font with equal spacing for each character.

Without them:
XXXXXX
X....X
XXXXXX

With them:
Code: [Select]
XXXXXX
X....X
XXXXXX

So your drawings would be:
Code: [Select]
Top Layer
+|##|+
S|##|S
+|##|+
S|##|S
# being grate, S being GCS
+ being floor, | just being a divider for my eyes

|^^|
 |^^|
 |^^|
 |^^|
 |^^|

(I added a space at the beginning of each line in the second one to get them to line up with the first).
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 08:47:07 pm »

Spoiler: WolfeyS post (click to show/hide)

Correct.
It may be very difficult to obtain the spiders, though, and demands modding on some level.
You must first go to their definition in creatures_subterranean.txt (search the file for CAVE_SPIDER and select the giant one) and make them [PET] instead of [PET_EXOTIC].
After that it'll still be very rare to come across GCS in the wild, so it may be beneficial to permit dwarves or some other race to bring them through trade, either by adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to their definition or adding the tag [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] to the dwarven civ's definition in entity_default.txt (it's the first one, apply it somewhere beneath the first dozen tags and it's guaranteed to work), which will let you purchase any tameable creatures on embark or from dwarven caravans, including GCS, assuming the civ you choose controls at least one biome that contains them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »

The other option is to not domesticate them and have them fire at a tame animal although that would be much harder to get it on cages.  Thanks for all the help, appreciate it.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 04:05:55 am »

I like how this goes from "are underground caverns dangerous?" to "just use GCS's to shoot webs at FB's".

Only D mf F.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 05:48:56 am »

Here's a hint for making drawing on the forums. Use [ code ] and [ /code ]tags (without the spaces). Everything inside of them will be in a font with equal spacing for each character.

[ tt ] and [ /tt ] are better.

Without them:
XXXXXX
X....X
XXXXXX

With them:
XXXXXX
X....X
XXXXXX

This way you can use colour and there is no code box.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2]