Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Maybe the folks here will understand....  (Read 1878 times)

Cyprinus

Re: Maybe the folks here will understand....
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 12:06:54 am »

It's sad that I only know one RL friend that plays DF - and I was the one that introduced it to him - and he's still getting the hang of it. And unlike other games, if you don't play you can't watch play.

I guess I'm fortunate, then. I know six people from college who play. Four of my friends introduced me to DF over dinner (they were talking about one of DF's spring 2010 updates), and I've since met two others who play. Because of the general nerdy atmosphere at my college, I had assumed that DF was better known than it apparently is.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:51 am »

whenever i laugh about something insanely stupid any of the dorfs did, my gf doestn understand it. "what, you mean the @ with an X blinking on it?" (no tile set)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 01:13:04 am »

First of all, it's always nice to get that feeling of accomplishment when you succeed in doing something awesome or complicated in DF for the first time and it works without spewing death everywhere (unless that was what it was intended to do of course :P).

As for when I got hooked on DF, one of my friends saw it in a "top 10 free games" article on yahoo back in the 23x days and introduced it to me (making me a little bummed that there wasn't a mac version). When a mac version did finally come out in the 40x versions I immediately jumped on the wagon and learned how to play in about a month before moving onto modding the game. I eventually managed to get my brother hooked (though he just played adventure mode), and though both he and my other friend have pretty much stopped playing DF, they still know enough about it to get all of the jokes and awesome things that I do (luckily).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]