Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Maybe the folks here will understand....  (Read 1880 times)

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maybe the folks here will understand....
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:18:02 pm »

Yesterday, I finally accomplished the creation of a functional magma piston, transporting a 6x7x7 volume of 7/7 magma to the surface, and using it to (for the first time EVER for me!) set up a magma forge/smelter operation within 10 levels of the surface, easily within reach of my main fortress....

It's wierd that I felt such a sense of accomplishment...  I tried to share it with the wife...

Me: "Woot! I did it!"
Her:"Did what?"
Me: "moved magma to the surface in my game....  see??"
(she looks at the screen)
Me:"Right there, the little red 7's..."
Her:"Oh...   That's....  nice, dear. Good for you."

Anyway, maybe the folks here will understand....  :p

Afterward: it's sad that the accomplishment of this event was overshadowed by my learning that, even with tons of iron, and a magma furnace, coke is still a material requirement for steel. "Whattya MEAN job cancelled?? I don't need fuel, I have MAGMA! Lemme check the wikki....   oh, &^$%!!"  So much for the beauty of my almost-no-tree start...

(of course, I did find candy...  time to accelerate the processing jobs! :)  )

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the folks here will understand....
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 02:29:37 pm »

It's sad that I only know one RL friend that plays DF - and I was the one that introduced it to him - and he's still getting the hang of it. And unlike other games, if you don't play you can't watch play.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:38:23 pm »

It's sad that I only know one RL friend that plays DF - and I was the one that introduced it to him - and he's still getting the hang of it. And unlike other games, if you don't play you can't watch play.

I feel your pain. It's worse when you show other people and they hate on it because of the graphics... the game just wouldn't work if it had all those shiny things! I can't see the game working in 3D-HD-1080p when I try to stick 500 puppies into the same cage... *sigh* maybe eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:57:07 pm »

I feel your pain. It's worse when you show other people and they hate on it because of the graphics... the game just wouldn't work if it had all those shiny things! I can't see the game working in 3D-HD-1080p when I try to stick 500 puppies into the same cage... *sigh* maybe eventually.

Well, this is how I got my friends to play DF;

Quote from: What they actually said
WTF have you done to your computer?

They went Dorfy downhill from there :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:01:08 pm »

My sister or one of her friends was watching me play once. She thought I was playing dominoes. :'(
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »

My sister or one of her friends was watching me play once. She thought I was playing dominoes. :'(

I think the best thing about DF is how people see it, some see a jumbled mass of ASCII assaulting their senses, others see horrific monsters breaking down the gates to your humble abode....

Or they see what Bay12 sees, and these are things that cannot be unseen.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 04:21:34 pm »

My brother is interested in the game, but doesn't know how to play it. He once sat next to me and watched me play it for half an hour, and I narrated what I was doing.

His mind was fucking boggled at how in-depth this game (and how sadistic it) is.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »

Request ALOT of coal from the trade caravan, that or start an underground tree farm, i found digging away at soil layer and clay layers will grow trees. Than after I think two years they become fully grown, chop them down for charcoal. This requires a wood furnace and the labor (wood burning) under the farming labor. good luck Praise Armok. May your hammer be mighty.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 04:58:51 pm »

-What's that?
-It's a bedroom
-What's that?
-That there is a huge pile of furniture and tourist trinkets, that place makes the furniture and those guys make the trinkets
-What are you doing now?
-I'm stuffing newly born kittens into a cage full of other kittens, while taking the grown up ex-kittens and giving them to my butcher
:(
-And now that guy is making totems out of cat skulls
:'(

She's a cat person.
My girlfriend is interested enough to ask  me about DF every now and then if she sees me play it and is thus acquainted with the basic premise of the game. Despite my objections she likes to call them (drunken) gnomes. "No honey, these are DWARFS, gnomes are the other little guys in this game. Cute little gnomes!  :)"
She cares though. When I was explaining her how I had few industries going, a military in training and had grand noble & commoners housing projects under construction and other small stuff, she happily reminded me about how back when I had just started on DF it took me over a day before I learned how to dig a staircase down a z-level.

I used to know this one guy before I played DF. He liked to play DF quite a bit, though he didn't advertise it. I knew about DF and recognized it, but didn't feel I had the time to learn a new ASCII game with depth at the time. It was still funny to see other peoples reactions who saw him play. They were pretty much what you'd expect when a 'college stereotype: cool kid' meets 'college stereotype: nerd'. "What the fuck is that? If you're gonna play games, at least play a real game!".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »

-What's that?
-It's a bedroom
-What's that?
-That there is a huge pile of furniture and tourist trinkets, that place makes the furniture and those guys make the trinkets
-What are you doing now?
-I'm stuffing newly born kittens into a cage full of other kittens, while taking the grown up ex-kittens and giving them to my butcher
:(
-And now that guy is making totems out of cat skulls
:'(

She's a cat person.
My girlfriend is interested enough to ask  me about DF every now and then if she sees me play it and is thus acquainted with the basic premise of the game. Despite my objections she likes to call them (drunken) gnomes. "No honey, these are DWARFS, gnomes are the other little guys in this game. Cute little gnomes!  :)"
She cares though. When I was explaining her how I had few industries going, a military in training and had grand noble & commoners housing projects under construction and other small stuff, she happily reminded me about how back when I had just started on DF it took me over a day before I learned how to dig a staircase down a z-level.

I used to know this one guy before I played DF. He liked to play DF quite a bit, though he didn't advertise it. I knew about DF and recognized it, but didn't feel I had the time to learn a new ASCII game with depth at the time. It was still funny to see other peoples reactions who saw him play. They were pretty much what you'd expect when a 'college stereotype: cool kid' meets 'college stereotype: nerd'. "What the fuck is that? If you're gonna play games, at least play a real game!".

Well this is a lovely story, I SHALL HOLD IT TO MY GRAVE!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:45:39 pm »

I try to show other people the game, and the general response is "It's a cool game, but if it had better graphics I'd play it - i can't understand it as it stands". Then I wonder how those people are my friends.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 08:49:55 pm »

I sometimes share stories of my various DF endeavors with my little brother, though he only really cares if it's about a fight(a marksdwarf grabbing a capybara by its tooth and punching it to death, for example). Other than that, I usually try to avoid letting other people know about DF, because it's annoying as hell trying to explain it.

Then again, I avoid letting people know about lots of things for that very same reason, so the problem has more to do with my lack of patience/caring, rather than the complexity of DF.

Mr. Doc

• Bay Watcher
  • Semi-Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 10:24:44 pm »

The minds of mere mortals are not equipped to process the sheer mindbending horror that we have turned into a hobby, so their eyes reject the information. They do not see the code as we do.

I was playing DF while a friend of mine randomly came over and she actually showed fascination with the complexity and urged me to save some dorfs that were trapped in the mines with a nasty FB.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 10:35:00 pm »

See, I need friends like that. Mine would watch them get slaughtered and probably be like, "Oh shit, that's brutal. Try sending all of them after it and see what it does".

Assuming they knew/cared about DF, that is.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »

I actually got my girlfriend into playing DF, though with a tileset mod, and she loves it! We chat about our forts, and she got all excited for me when I managed to capture a flaming forgotten beast.
She's a keeper :)
Pages: [1] 2