Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, or my take on greed in videogames.  (Read 3404 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, or my take on greed in videogames.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 06:56:41 pm »

Dungeon diving is only not worth it if you're spineless. You HAVE to clear several floors worth to get great stuff, and it's extremely profitable as you unlock the later dungeons. A combination of quick action on price drops I engineered by flooding the market with certain items I got from the dungeon to sell my now rare and valuable stock, followed by going back in and singling out stuff that's rare NOW to normalize prices back in got me enough money in about a week of game time to rake in enough money to pay off the whole debt.

In short do more than 5 levels at a time. Do 15, or 20 or the whole dungeon in a go. And bring food. The game seems to love tossing better stuff at you the longer you stay.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, or my take on greed in videogames.
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 07:16:59 pm »

Hehe, I managed to beat it on my first time through, though there was a couple tax due days that were a bit close fr comfort. I also agree fully with you about the risk/cost to reward of dungeon running. And dungeon runs do take 2 timeslots, you have to wake-up and go straight to the dungeon, then when finished go straight in again and you'd get 2 runs in per day. I've done that, it works.

I do remember the first 2 payments, my dungeon running did pay off quite handily. But as the next payments came around, the dungeon loot just wasn't keeping up with the payments. Those payments I remember were extremely close to game-over for me. I pretty much started going full time merchanting after those, which easily had me making much more than my dungeon hauls brought in. If I had managed to unlock more than the first 2 dungeons or so while making the payments, it might've delayed my need to just merchant my way to the end. I didn't unlock everything until after I started in on endless mode.

My experiences with fusion weren't that bad. I remember creating a couple of nice items that sold VERY well, and they weren't that hard to make. A single ingredient of some sort and some equip bought from the wholeseller.

The tutorial did teach you some counter-productive habits I agree. It didn't take me too awful long to identify them though and correct myself. If you do have to haggle get as much as you can out of it, but do try for the sale on the initial offer and the bonus that comes from that.
Pages: 1 [2]