Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I need a challenge  (Read 2367 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need a challenge
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 05:03:59 pm »

Oooh, I like that one.. Though you mention bows.. I did not think dwarves could use them, or am I mistaken?

Either way, gonna try that.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »

AFAIK bows are like flails and daggers.  You can't make them (maybe via strange mood), but if someone else brings one into the area, a dwarf can use it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »

So.... Axes? You need them to chop down trees after all.  Just cannot use them as weapons?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 05:19:01 pm »

Axes are a tough call.  If I were going super primitive dorfs myself, I'd probably restrict it to wooden training axes only, and get rid of any metal axes people brought in from elsewhere.  That seems like it should functionally mimic the ancient handle-less stone axes that could be used to manage light wood and some of the stiffer bamboo grasses, but weren't much more than a glorified rock if it came to fighting.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 05:27:43 pm »

Sounds good, so here are the rules I've come up with:

1) No farming or domesticated animals (not sure what I'll do with pets dwarves bring in)

2) No metal objects are to be gained in any way other than claiming them from my enemies.

3) No trading at all.

4) I can start with a wooden training axe and one pick and food/drink.  All other materials I'll have to acquire on my own.

5) No crossbows, traps, or anything that uses 'mechanics' or 'advanced' weapons.

6) All dwarves start as peasents

I think that covers it, you can slaughter some of the races in Fortress Defense II so that may help with food.. Of course I have to kill them first.

Gonna embark on a forest ('untamed wilds'), took a big chunk of food and drink but I still have a ton of embark points left over.

Lets see how it goes.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 05:34:08 pm »

Good call on the location.  Tricky to deal with giant critters with no ranged firepower unless you can capture it from the elves, and no armor better than leather with wood shields, but they're wonderful if your diet is mainly meat.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 05:42:15 pm »

At least until I capture it from the enemy.. Bring on the sieges.

Decided I'd allow myself to butcher the two horses that pulled the wagon, won't be 'farming' animals after that though, just hunting.  Decided against fishing too.

TallAsAHouseDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 09:41:55 am »

Some people make collapsing fortresses, why don't you be a man and make a collapsing front yard. Hollow out as much of the map as possible under the whole outside area, at least three or four levels deep, and link all the supports to a bunch of levers placed in the meeting hall. Then, when a siege comes, all dwarves inside, close entrances, pull all the levers and watch half of the map disappear.  :P

Got this idea from a Gunslinger comic, not sure how doable it is or if it's been done before.

Bonus if you also make all the pools, rivers and such also disappear in the same collapse and manage to make the entire used-to-be-woods area an artificial slowly filling sweet water lake that fills the map from one side to the other.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 08:47:01 am »

You should be able to pop the elves wooden weapons/armor over if you want to do a no-metal but want something better melee-wise than training weapons. You could RP that you were a training colony and ____ came by and wiped it off the map before you arrived?
Pages: 1 [2]