Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Banners  (Read 2785 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Banners
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:58 am »

Can agree. and, perhaps we need an [IS_FLAG] flag that gets applied to suitable objects decorated with the symbol of a group.
I can just see people getting their hands on a tag/flag like that and making their armies carry, say, floodgates as their national banner.

In all seriousness though, I like this idea and would not be opposed to seeing it turn up in the game proper.
let's not judge the nation of the Oaken Barrel
Sorry, I side with the legion of Glass Sarcophagi a little more often than I should. :P
That better not be crystal glass there.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 07:10:26 am »

+1 to banners, +100 to making them out of rock LIKE A BOSS DWARF.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 08:57:29 am »

Maybe in the future the game will make you make at least 2 tile wide walls or something. That would work.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:57 pm »

Maybe in the future the game will make you make at least 2 tile wide walls or something. That would work.
I could swear I read somewhere that engravings only affected one side of a wall. There was science and everything... Although it was 40D, so it's possible something changed.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »

I'd like this. It would be satisfying to fill your barracks with the banners of vanquished armies.
Hmm... That would be entertaining. This'd probably work in a similar fashion to how engravings do, for graphical representation. Perhaps if it's in a windy location, it could also flicker an animation?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »

Tri-color tiles are impossible[...]
I just have to say: Currently.

Not that I'm particularly calling for it, but it might represent a solution to all kinds of things.

Bit of a waste to implement just for "wall with tapestry option" symbols alone, of course, so there'd need to be a good reason to rejig the whole lot again, and incidentally force tileset artists to review their existing wares to ensure they don't fall foul of whatever method is used.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02:09 pm »

I could swear I read somewhere that engravings only affected one side of a wall. There was science and everything... Although it was 40D, so it's possible something changed.
Calling BS. Certainly isn't now, and given how engravings are designated I doubt they ever were.

Not that I'm particularly calling for it, but it might represent a solution to all kinds of things.

Bit of a waste to implement just for "wall with tapestry option" symbols alone, of course, so there'd need to be a good reason to rejig the whole lot again, and incidentally force tileset artists to review their existing wares to ensure they don't fall foul of whatever method is used.
I'd just use something like the current system for showing engravings.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 10:44:11 pm »

I actually never[1] use engravings.  I know I could and that I could turn the displaying off.   But I'm not sure it is because it looks 'strange' compared to the rest of it (engraved floors now look like... not-floors... sort of thing), and I feel guilty about this because I appreciate the effort put into this bit of 'flavour', but I think this is probably why I bend away from banners displaying that way as well while I've got other ideas to root for.

Anyway, with footnotes, probably too much chatter, here.

[1] Well, not since a megaproject fort in 40D, when I decided to give emergency Quality levels to some noble rooms[2].  And rarely before then.

[2] Oh so many noble rooms...  Ok, so the philisopher was easy to cater for, but all those parallel 'hereditory' nobles and the Sherrif[3] and the Dungeon Master.

[3] Still gettable, but he's something else I don't 'do' in my forts.  I tend to make sure he's not needed.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:58 am »

It's not a matter of dwarf fortress. There isn't any software library that's able to display multicolored letters without graphics for letters. Anywhere.

A Tri-color font would require a someone to do a major rework of how fonts work, and provide terminal support for it on every popular platform. No one's going to bother with that. Ever. It's useless. People who need multicolored font use graphics.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 10:51:56 am »

It is graphics, though...  Purely rasterised 'character set' picked up from an image, with (what is it?) magenta for background.

(Assuming I'm not talking cross-purposes, here.  Not something to do with the truetype support, that's since come about, right?)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 12:48:14 pm »

As far as I'm aware, Toady uses a library like ncurses, which just uses native terminal api to print text with specified foreground and background colors. That's not graphics.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 02:03:10 pm »

It would be nice if an enterprising dwarf crafted banners from these x(socks)x on the floor.  Or clothing for cold kittens in the winter months.  A nice chew toy? 

The problem with banners I would think, in DF is how they were displayed.  I think each Military Noble, should have a coat of arms.  An actual coat of goblin arms. 

That'd be gruesome.  Something I could rap my mind around, something for the M version..  His banner could be a collection of the nobles kill data, and their various parts, described without graphics for flavor text purposes.  I'd offer an example, but I dunno if it'd be PG enough here.

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »

As far as I'm aware, Toady uses a library like ncurses, which just uses native terminal api to print text with specified foreground and background colors. That's not graphics.
As I understand it, it is printing graphics tiles.  Taking subsets of the "%DwarfFortress%\data\art\curses_640x300.png" file (or whatever the image is that your [FONT] or [FULLFONT] setting specifies, in the "%DwarfFortress%\init\init.txt" file).

Whatever system is used, I've no idea if it could already handle support for something like foreground, background plus 'detail' key-colours, but I could certainly imagine a variant that does so.  Or at least an "over-strike" capability.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »

It's OpenGL emulating CP437, not actual text.

unless you want it to be.
Pages: 1 [2]