Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Banners  (Read 2795 times)

mazterlith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Banners
« on: November 18, 2011, 03:19:15 pm »

Has anyone suggested that DF wouldn't be complete without banners (made from cloth or leather) that you can hang on walls and increase room value? These should be able to be hung on constructions or smoothed walls.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Banners
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »

Toady mentioned this in Threetoe's "The Nation of Man."
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »

When we are able to assembly large armies our forces should be able to carry banners.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:03:48 pm »

Can agree. and, perhaps we need an [IS_FLAG] flag that gets applied to suitable objects decorated with the symbol of a group. (to, perahps include notable individuals later on, is the El Cid ploy in the powergoals?)[another individual using the identity of a dead/unavilible figure to inspire the troops, or demoralise the enemy]
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:17:00 am »

Banners and tapestries (since you're talking about hanging them from the walls) have been suggested previously, yes. Tapestries at least have also been mentioned in DF Talk as a likely inclusion for Release 3 on the short-term goals list, for the manors in town.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 02:43:32 am »

Can agree. and, perhaps we need an [IS_FLAG] flag that gets applied to suitable objects decorated with the symbol of a group.
I can just see people getting their hands on a tag/flag like that and making their armies carry, say, floodgates as their national banner.

In all seriousness though, I like this idea and would not be opposed to seeing it turn up in the game proper.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:34:06 am »

Banners don't seem very dwarfy to me. Real dwarves work in stone and gem.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:34:12 am »

Just make some rock banners DUUUUUUH!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:37:02 am »

I think that wall-hanging banners (and similar decorations that have been considered in the surface-decoration front, from buildable stone reliefs to 'paintings' of some kind) are stymied by there being not many ways the system can 'paint' the tile to show a wall hanging on one side of a wall.  Engravings (and, indeed smoothings) on walls affect the entire wall and are applicable to both sides, but it seems even more difficulty to imagine hanging a tapestry on both sides of a wall (the other side being in mid-air, under water or awash with magma) at the same time.  It's conceptually bad enough for the engraving/smoothing, but that's already in-game.

Something akin to stand-alone banners (for the character display, I sort of see the Goblin Tower large-Pi symbol, but there are other options, even before we get to custom tileset territory) might be buildable.  Like statues, only passable.  I could see those being dotted around the Halls Of Drinking[1].  The ones depicting finely embroidered pictures of the decapitation of elves/whatnot.

Of course, I also tend to agree that it's not necessarily dwarfy.  Compared with something statue/slab-like being used for the same purpose.  However, players being players (and NPC buildings being NPC buildings) there might be a good reason to allow their use.

(Also, how about "[Un]welcome mats"? :) )

[1] Currently, booze stockpiles.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 12:24:56 pm »

I think that wall-hanging banners (and similar decorations that have been considered in the surface-decoration front, from buildable stone reliefs to 'paintings' of some kind) are stymied by there being not many ways the system can 'paint' the tile to show a wall hanging on one side of a wall.  Engravings (and, indeed smoothings) on walls affect the entire wall and are applicable to both sides, but it seems even more difficulty to imagine hanging a tapestry on both sides of a wall (the other side being in mid-air, under water or awash with magma) at the same time.  It's conceptually bad enough for the engraving/smoothing, but that's already in-game.
Thats why tri-colored tiles and/or more charracters are needed.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

Personally, I'd probably make it a "possession of the cell", item when 'k'ing over it (perhaps with a "to north/south/east/west" qualifier) and then visually either ignore it (like the "engravings off" setting does to those), give it to a highlighting background colour (non-black background compaitible with 'type of rock' foreground of the relevant railroad line symbols?) or (where the tileset allows) make a "wall/whatever with tapestry" picture (perhaps multiple, for various multiple wall designations, showing the correct side) which is essentially the railroad-line symbol with an additional highlight on the relevant side(s).  Given that even the ANSI-like symbols are still pictures, I could see that being expanded in the 'default' charset, but I don't know all the technical issues involved.  As with bridge-raising directions, the option of which side of the tile to place an item (where there's a choice) would be crucial in the build option.  When the wall is removed (or another is built abutting to side) the tapestry would have to be either deconstructed or destroyed, as with other environmental (!!MAGMA!!) effects.

But I don't think most of those ideas quite solves all the problems that might occur.  Until/unless we go isometric-tile or full 3D and can paint different sides of the walls with different patterns (a la Sims or most FPSes that just work on internal rooms and ignores the relationship with walls on the 'other' side of a wall-gap), it does look to me to be a troublesome issue.  Not saying this isn't why it has happened, but I certainly wouldn't find it encouraging to not be able to find a good way of solving the issue, and might put it on the back-burner.

Of course, my thoughts probably don't match Toady's.  Maybe he knows what he's going to do, when he gets onto this, or even knows that he doesn't want to do it anyway. :)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »

Can agree. and, perhaps we need an [IS_FLAG] flag that gets applied to suitable objects decorated with the symbol of a group.
I can just see people getting their hands on a tag/flag like that and making their armies carry, say, floodgates as their national banner.

In all seriousness though, I like this idea and would not be opposed to seeing it turn up in the game proper.
let's not judge the nation of the Oaken Barrel
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 03:27:51 pm »

I'd like this. It would be satisfying to fill your barracks with the banners of vanquished armies.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 05:56:29 pm »

Thats why tri-colored tiles and/or more charracters are needed.
Tri-color tiles are impossible and even adding full unicode support still wouldn't give more tiles that look like walls. You could do stuff with a custom font, but then you may as well switch to images.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 02:21:48 am »

let's not judge the nation of the Oaken Barrel
Sorry, I side with the legion of Glass Sarcophagi a little more often than I should. :P
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Pages: [1] 2