Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Preservation  (Read 781 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Animal Preservation
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:22:18 pm »

So i built a massive war elephant army and i capture and tamed a dragon.  HOWEVER, i am getting extremely frustrated with this fortreses' map size.  I wish abandone it and reclaim a section of it (the section with the actual fortress). 

My question:

If i put all my animals in a cage and build it.  Will they still be here after i reclaim the fort or are all tame animals insta killed?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Preservation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:24:16 pm »

All tame animals are insta-killed on abandon.

How are you feeding those elephants anyway? Aren't they supposed to starve to death since they can't graze fast enough?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »

He tamed a dragon, so he must have modded the raws to do so. So he probably modded the elephants to make them able to eat enough to not starve.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:47:36 pm »

Erm no...the dragon isnt tamed...just captured and stuck in the zoo.  As for the elephants...idk maybe it's a glitch?  Does the fact that they're War elephants change anything?  IK for sure i didnt mod anything
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:58:52 pm »

I think pet grazers don't need to eat (they follow their owners around, and it'd be a real nuisance to have to schedule your legendary weaponsmith to stand in a field for a while so their pet goat won't starve to death and start a tantrum spiral), so if you manage to tame, train, and assign a war elephant before they starve to death, they'll probably survive.

I'd been wondering whether it was possible to train a war elephant before they starve to death, guess we have the answer.

Did you start with wild elephants, or did you buy from the elves?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:55 pm »

Maybe the world was generated in version 0.31.18 or earlier, back before grazing was added to the game.

Also, while the tame animals will all die on abandon, the dragon will escape and probably be hidden in Ambush when you reclaim.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:10:41 am »

I think pet grazers don't need to eat (they follow their owners around, and it'd be a real nuisance to have to schedule your legendary weaponsmith to stand in a field for a while so their pet goat won't starve to death and start a tantrum spiral), so if you manage to tame, train, and assign a war elephant before they starve to death, they'll probably survive.

I'd been wondering whether it was possible to train a war elephant before they starve to death, guess we have the answer.

I think I've done some research on this earlier, and being war animals definitely does not save grazers from starvation.
Dwarves do really feed their pets, but they are quite lazy to do so. War elephants might survive if they are attached to soldiers and thus made pets. I may suppose one should pick disciplined and compassionate dwarves with no other jobs to feed his elephants.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:22:50 am »

Started by accidentally catching a wild female that appears to have been pregnant upon capture.  Also all the elephants follow a random farmer around.  My farm is in a greenhouse so the elephants do get a lot of oppertunities to graze.  Not sure if this helps.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:52:46 am »

Grazers only eat if you pasture them. My dead yaks stand as proof.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »

Odd. My dead yaks lie down as proof. How do you get yours to stand?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 02:17:27 pm »

Odd. My dead yaks lie down as proof. How do you get yours to stand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSf9aEETnvE
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »

I don't think so. I get the impression that they eat whenever the are on grass. Allows small pets to survive simply by following their owner outside. Works for chained, non pastured animals, too, if my guard bunnies are any indicator. The problem is most of them will go in your underground meeting points and starve there if you don't pasture/chain them outside, and starve there...