Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Quest for the Fun Stick! [SPOILER]s abound  (Read 2950 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Quest for the Fun Stick! [SPOILER]s abound
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »

I didn't try a world with 2 caverns, so I don't know about that.

If you set zero demon types, you get hell but no screams.  If you have no bottom layer, then you get solid SMR and (I think) no addy.

This experiment has shown other, interesting things as well.  While performing massive embarks and zooming out, I've noticed that you seem to get one microcline/orthoclase/kaolite/"large chunk stone" per 48x48 (ie, per embark tile).  It's strange because you zoom out and get these orderly rows...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel like the HFS "eerie pits" also have a pattern to them, but I've yet to figure it out...

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »

Clearly, the answer is to gen with few/no sites possible or use embark anywhere to cover the entire world in 16x16 forts, then map the EXACT positions of every HFS.  repeat in multiple worlds of various sizes and look for some pattern in the megamap.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 04:27:30 pm »

Actually, the pit layout seems to be on a per-tile basis.  You can almost see the lines where the 48x48 embark tiles change.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is, btw, a 8 wide x 12 tall embark, because apparently it's having trouble with 16x16 again.  But when it's fully zoomed out, it can only capture like 6x6 at a time.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 07:20:19 pm »

My current fort, as I just discovered using the "R"ooms menu, has an upright weapon.  My problem now is how to leave the structure available to my eventual adventurer, while still keeping the hordes of undead safe from my fortress.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 07:23:40 pm »

My current fort, as I just discovered using the "R"ooms menu, has an upright weapon.  My problem now is how to leave the structure available to my eventual adventurer, while still keeping the hordes of undead safe from my fortress.
Low dosages of the Necro910 Method should suffice.

‼Zombies‼ aren't too dangerous when properly contained.  ;)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 07:29:05 pm »

Low dosages of the Necro910 Method should suffice.

‼Zombies‼ aren't too dangerous when properly contained.  ;)
Ah, no, see, I want to keep the hordes of undead safe, so that my adventurer can have some fun with them.  Besides, magma is far too easy on a volcano embark, and I've already used it as my primary defense far too often.  :P
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »

What you could do is...

build a path (walled off) to the weapon from your fortress such that no living thing can get in unless they do so from your designated entryway, then your adventurer can just waltz right through.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 07:59:04 pm »

I just realized, there happens to be a Fun tower open to the caverns in my second fort. I kinda forgot about it and got bored of the fort, so it's just been sitting there for ages. I should definitely have some Fun with that. I'm sure leaving the fort open to the caverns could be good Fun, but I'll have to think of something. (Before my fort falls to ruins this time)

FakeEdit: Wait, I hope that isn't the fort that...ah well, if it is, reclaim time.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 08:42:00 pm »

ive played about 20-30 forts so far and have NEVER seen one of these.
the only proof i have that they actually exist is the startling number of threads about them on this board.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »

Seems the best way to find them is to do the biggest embark you can - specifically 16x16 or 8x16.  For best results, it may pay to copy the world folder, enable "save on embark" and then go looking.  In case you crash, it should still save and you should be able to load the game, paused because it was just loaded.  When you find one, then you should be able to track it down on the "real" world folder to get it as you want.

The new "ideal embark" is going to be a river, volcano, and upright fun on a 3x3.  Yes, that is a challenge.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 09:01:35 pm »

I got volcano, brook, and fun on a 4x4.  Current FPS ~ 15.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 09:08:24 pm »

Odds are people have had embarks with these before just, without using Reveal/Prospector or the 'R' trick, you'd have to actually tunnel down to find it. I know Prospector will tell you if there's one by saying "Has demon temple". I've had a few embarks with these, but I've never played them because they tend to be really junk embarks with tons of useless stone and no good metal ores.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 07:31:43 am »

Been playing DF for maybe a year. Never seen one. Never seen a curious structure either and lately i've been a reveal whore. Maybe it's a bug.

Same, except I've never used DFHack. Where do people keep finding these structures?!
[Signature]

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 07:47:49 am »

Well, I'm embarking with the sole purpose of finding one, and abandoning everywhere else. Still, I've only found two or three in as many days...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 12:56:34 pm »

I've never seen one either. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3]