Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Out of the common weapon trap components, which is your favorite?

Menacing spike
- 5 (12.8%)
Large, serrated disc
- 29 (74.4%)
Spiked ball
- 3 (7.7%)
Enormous corkscrew
- 1 (2.6%)
Giant axe blade
- 1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Favorite weapon trap?  (Read 1377 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite weapon trap?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:22:26 am »

I prefer serrated discs for the lovely chopping action.   8)

Though I tend to not load 10 to a trap, but 3-4 and then add a few silver warhammers and the odd copper pick.  Every so often you see a goblin get de-armed by the discs, and then the pick just pops them in the head for the clean finish.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 12:27:46 am »

Wooden spiked balls. With about 5 per trap, they really hurt, and they use carpentry, which you should have embarked with (if you play like me).
Even if the spikes don't hurt, the blunt force does it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 12:35:22 am »

Wooden spiked balls. With about 5 per trap, they really hurt, and they use carpentry, which you should have embarked with (if you play like me).
Even if the spikes don't hurt, the blunt force does it.

Good gravy man. What a horrible waste of wood.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:49 am »

I tend to be relatively minimalist with my traps. The first line has two crossbows each, followed by a second containing one set of spiked balls, one serrated disc and one giant axe blade per trap. Whatever survives that lot is confronted by a couple of dozen militia with assorted melee weapons.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 12:58:50 am »

Spiked balls! Green glass spiked balls. Made by the ton. I then pepper them everywhere. They aren't always lethal, but they tend to break bones pretty good which makes it easy on my military. I use metal spike balls on the inside of my forts...in case anything gets past all the glass.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22:00 am »

My longterm hope is to get enough whips to make a large whiptrap.

"owieowieowieowie..."
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:08 am »

I pity your significant other.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 03:17:52 am »

My longterm hope is to get enough whips to make a large whiptrap.

"owieowieowieowie..."

I imagine this to be a sort of wheel with the whips attached around the outside, spun by a windmill waterwheel labouring dwarf!

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 04:04:26 am »

silver spiked balls for dodge traps, saving more useful metals for arming my military, making them trains up my smiths and 1 per trap is sufficient to cause serious harm. either they dodge them into a 15z drop with wooden spikes at the bottom or they take the hit and suffer various broken bones which results in a slow and painful death as they're often immobile while they slowly bleed to death. i have about 30 traps on a winding ridge through my dodgetrap room, have yet to see someone make it past the first 5.

efficient, easy, cheap and gets rid of my giant supply of galena ore. silves spiked balls are awesome.

also, large serrated disks are great if you want turn your trapped hallway into a goblin-blender, unfortunatly the red mist doesnt give happy thoughts. my preference still goes to the spiked balls because those require less cleanup.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 04:55:21 am »

Adamantine discs, 10 per trap. Cage traps. (I LOVE CANDY)
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: 1 [2]