Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Screenshots that sum up Dwarf Fortress  (Read 9442 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshots that sum up Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:47 pm »

I like this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also like how it's subtle.  Much like playing DF itself, looking at this screenshot doesn't give any huge payoff until you carefully read and understand everything.  Once you do, of course, it then allows you to construct a situation in your head that is just great.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 12:47:08 pm »

What better symbol of DF than blood, ashes, blood, and more blood?

Note: this screen shot was produced with the aid of the Fortress Defense Mod in my sig ;).

There are so many dead bodies that I'm starting to see words in their positions!! Doctor help me I think I've gone mad!! :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »

Note: this screen shot was produced with the aid of the Fortress Defense Mod in my sig ;).

There are so many dead bodies that I'm starting to see words in their positions!! Doctor help me I think I've gone mad!! :D

i2amroy has gone Stark Raving Mad!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:12:46 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

Hello, I'm the doctor and I will help you. state your condition.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

Note: this screen shot was pro2amroy has gone Stark Raving Mad!duced with the aid of the Fortress Defense Mod in my sig ;) .

i2amroy has gone Stark Raving Mad!
Toss a few humans in that mess, and fun will be seen all over the place. A few kobolds and cats along with them in there could also sum up the image.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 12:26:03 am »

This isn't quite as funny as some of the other ones here, but it does make me sure laugh at the DF naming generator.

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 02:30:39 am »

This isn't quite as funny as some of the other ones here, but it does make me sure laugh at the DF naming generator.

Ironic virtual cartographers.  I like it.

I can't post this since it was on my other machine, but I had my first "encased in cooling magma" deaths today while pit mining the magma sea.  If someone had told me that the previous sentence was a possible outcome of playing this game, I would have downloaded it immediately instead of a year after first hearing of it.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 03:22:18 am »

From another thread. I will never forget this image + the story Andreus wrote.

Quote from: Andreus

This picture is the true, undiluted essence of Dwarf Fortress. If you opened a dictionary and looked for Dwarf Fortress, you would not find any definition, just this image. Please, picture, if you will, this scene in your head - the militia commander Athel Sabrepunch, gem cutter by trade, wrestler and fighter by neccessity, stands locked in a desperate struggle with the child Cerol "Shamebirth" Handledbell, the small boy's eyes devoid of reason or compassion, burning with the unholy flame of a berserk fury. Spit and froth spew from his mouth as he screams incoherent fragments of obscenities into the face of his adversary in a dark, unwholesome language understood by none, not even himself. Though his opponent is twice his size, his rage gives him unnatural strength making him more than a match for the adult dwarf that stands between him and the desperately wounded invalids lying on the hospital beds not more than an armspan away. Athel knows that he must strike down this raging youngster, lest he kill not only him but the helpless convalescents as well. Seizing the moment, he bends into a crouch and seizes the child by his foot, and mustering all of his strength, tosses him shrieking against the wall. Before his opponent can react, he bullrushes him, setting his knee against the child's chest and, seizing him by the neck with both hands, squeezes with all his might. Cerol makes raspy choking sounds as the life slowly drains from his bruised and bloodstained body, his arms flailing helplessly, clawing at the dwarf above him. Tears stream from his eyes as the end approaches, and he stares helplessly up into the cold, emotionless eyes of Athel Sabrepunch, his soon-to-be-murderer and lets out a shriek of despair and terror that reaches no further than his bruised, spasming throat. "Shh, shhh, shhh" Athel coos softly, pressing down with his knee one more time. There is a dull gurgling sound, the child's eyes roll up into his head, and then there is silence, broken only by the groans of the wounded and the unearthly shrieks of the primeval monster laying waste to the land above.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:35 pm »

Notice the danger rooms.

Edit:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:52:56 am by Flare »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 03:30:33 pm »

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 06:24:18 pm »

b-D

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Ponzai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:47 pm »

This is great... just great...
EDIT: well that didn't work...
EDIT 2: a link will have to do i guess...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:18:33 pm by Ponzai »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 04:21:46 pm »

Not really a screenshot but an image I assembled myself so all the surface layers are visible.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 11:01:15 pm »

-epic image-
Not really a screenshot but an image I assembled myself so all the surface layers are visible.
This, right here, is what I like to see.  Well done.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 11:10:53 am »

-epic image-
This, right here, is what I like to see.  Well done.
That's a very interesting way to share an image. Kudos man.
Pages: 1 [2]