Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Tsunami Defense System (Aka: Kiss your FPS goodbye)  (Read 4276 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I've been heavily debating how good a feeder stack is.  On the one hand "a pump can be fed by other pumps" allows for faster flow... but at the same time, if you're pushing one pump into another, then wouldn't it be just as good to push one pump into the trap?  I'm not actually sure you gain much, if anything, with feeder pumps.  Not when you can just pressurize fluid at the source.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

The reservoir's filled by two pumpstacks that draw from separate breaches in top of the aquifer.  The actual breach channeled down, not a channel to a breach in a wall.  I plan to add more stacks when I'm not managing other tasks in the fort as i need to go dowsing (aka digging random channels down) to find out just how big the aquifer is.  It seems to be a pocket of water in the hill, rather than the layer kind i keep hearing about.

Right now, I'm looking at points where i can add a few more exit channels so i can get more water pressure out.  I have that partially-finished channel in the earlier picture now done and controlled with floodgates (thanks to some careful digging and quick lever-pulling).  If anyone else wants to grab the save and suggest some good locations (I'm considering the north side, or just sticking another channel on the level above the new one), it'd help.  The aim of the whole device is to push goblins and whathaveyou away from the entrance and down the east mountainside as quickly as possible.  (Preferably "Hey Goblin, what that rumbling sound?  You think Shortfolk tap magmaaaaaagaghhh?!!??! *flushed down the hillside*", but I'd settle for "to arms.... uh-oh, we seem to have trouble going forwaaarrrrrrddssss *flushed down the hilside*")

Here's the latest save - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4987

The schist lever in the reservoir control room (F1, then look just south of the reservoir for the room with all the levers) releases the water from the new channel above the front entrance.

Oh, and the reservoir's also SwordThunder's suicide device.  If you look at the level above the control room, you'll see a small sealed-off furnished bedroom with The Lever in the center.  Pulling that will flood the fortress corridors and any room with an open door if everything becomes utterly screwed.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only thing missing is a rubber duck.

Here you go, for your next embark:
Spoiler: Rubber duck (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:44:25 pm by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Lamiales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only thing missing is a rubber duck.

Here you go, for your next embark:
Spoiler: Rubber duck (click to show/hide)

For the time being, put a stockpile of toy boats without bins outside the floodgates :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]