Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You'll never guess what just happened.  (Read 3151 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: You'll never guess what just happened.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:11 am »

In later waves of attacks, elves will ambush while riding war animals. Sometimes the animals will be revealed before their riders (or the opposite if the elves are bowmen). This applies even if the elf is riding a war elephant or a war giant badger.

Fighting elves is so awesome, that I have them set up as a permanently hostile enemy in most worlds I gen now.
How? this is exactly what i want to do for my next fortress!
Presumably with whatever makes goblins hostile.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 07:26:04 am »

On my third(ish) fort I had about 20 dwarves, only a door and a drawbridge for defense, and already under attack from goblins. I saw some animals just outside my door standing on the drawbridge, well I didn't want the goblins to stop me having all those cool looking animals, so I let them in... 

What I should have done was pull the drawbridge lever and splatter all those animals and their hidden elven riders against the roof, but no...
Lesson learned.  I don't think I will ever get all the blood off the walls and floor in that fort.
I still cant believe I had goblins and elves attacking me before I had made a weapon.
That fort is saved until I'm sure I can exact a just revenge.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 10:44:34 am »

I'm certain you can make a custom reaction to take any wooden object and make charcoal.  Or, for that matter, specify "any wooden weapons" or "any wooden armor" but then you might burn your own training spears if they're laying about.  "Any wooden furniture" would let you burn tables, chairs, beds, barrels, and bins as well, because things like bins, barrels, and buckets are technically furniture.

Dang, I should've checked this thread for an answer before I started my new game. Idyllic place, with a volcano. I picked a civ that was at war with both elves and humans. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 11:48:26 am »

In later waves of attacks, elves will ambush while riding war animals. Sometimes the animals will be revealed before their riders (or the opposite if the elves are bowmen). This applies even if the elf is riding a war elephant or a war giant badger.

Fighting elves is so awesome, that I have them set up as a permanently hostile enemy in most worlds I gen now.
How? this is exactly what i want to do for my next fortress!
Presumably with whatever makes goblins hostile.
It's probably the babysnatcher tag.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 04:44:29 pm »

I like the elves. I always trade with them, and maintain peaceful relations.

They bring lots of good items...Food, alcohol, seeds, animals; - The stuff I really need. Never fought with elves, and I've been playing for a long time.

I also don't like magma. Never used a pump or magma workshop in my life. I've never built a big structure, only dungeons.

I give mercy to captured enemies, by letting them die with honor in the dungeon. As a final note,

I'm a human, not a dwarf >_>.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »

Elves make short jokes, which is mean, but I like having them around. They bring wood, cloth, booze, food, and awesome animals.
As for calling them sissies, I have to say they're probably more hardcore than the Dwarves are. Can you imagine playing a fort with no digging, weapons, traps, or walling yourself off?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

They also fight with wooden weapon and armor, that takes serious guts...
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »

@OP: I guessed what happened before i clicked the threadname
@Thread: Going to guess that the dude chopped down fifty-bazillion trees

thehippopotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 07:09:50 pm »

I prefer embarks that start at war with elves... I remember my first elven ambush, i was horrified to see my best military dwarf caught outside and alone right next to a war tiger, to my surprise he somehow managed to kill the tiger and hold off the entire ambush without dieing or even being seriously injured while my reinforcements rushed to his aid, 100 arrows must have been fired at the plucky little guy. I think he was a proficient dodger and he had quality iron armor which is always nice. The more *fun* the better in my opinion, which incidentally is why i started playing the genesis mod, play it now if you haven't!
*In reasons you love DF thread*
57. You ask people for tasks and are disappointed when they don't tell you to kill a Winged Iron Giant Lobster that lives in a makeshift shrine.

Quote from Girlinhat:
"Dwarf up.  Don your leather armor and wooden axe, and go slaughter 10,000 zombie bull sharks.  Your beard has lost its luster in these years of plenty."

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

I made a mod for the game that changed Bow into Longbow and Shortbow, and added an Elven War Bow only usable by elves that was stronger than both. Changed arrows into Bodkin Arrows and Broadhead Arrows.
A skilled Elven Archer with an Elven War Bow could put an Oaken Bodkin Arrow through a Bronze Mail Shirt. Made them a bit more threatening.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 11:38:46 am »

Well its a moot point now.  Last battle I had with them even my low rank sworddwarfs in plate went though them like a locomotive through a field of anorexic hippies, to say nothing about the three axelords. There's now a lake of blood that won't go away and my fortress is nicely stocked with some pretty high quality clothing. Too bad my dwarfs don't wear clothes.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:51 am »

I'm certain you can make a custom reaction to take any wooden object and make charcoal.  Or, for that matter, specify "any wooden weapons" or "any wooden armor" but then you might burn your own training spears if they're laying about.  "Any wooden furniture" would let you burn tables, chairs, beds, barrels, and bins as well, because things like bins, barrels, and buckets are technically furniture.
It would be nice if you could mark wooden objects for burning like you mark metal ones for melting...

I have enough trouble with goblin ranged siegers, though I suppose that if I knew elves would coming, I would build my surface defenses to minimize shooting gallery type straightaways, in favor of a maze of twisty high walls -- or at least something that becomes that with the change in status of a few key bridges blocking the straight paths.  I'm shuddering at the dwarfpower required to build so much though.  Jobs will cancel, masons will be perforated.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 01:24:05 pm »

You burned your ...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.
Pages: 1 [2]