Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You'll never guess what just happened.  (Read 3144 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
You'll never guess what just happened.
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:05 am »

So I'm still pretty early on this fortress (pop 34) and I just got ambushed by elves. I didn't even kill their traders yet! ???

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: You'll never guess what just happened.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:36 am »

Your civ could have already been at war with them, since world gen. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:48 am »

Which can only be a good thing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:21 am »

Also, I'm guessing you were planning to attack the elves, had they been peaceful?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:00:21 pm »

If you don't have a good military, Elves are a bitch to fight. They sneak up in huge waves and wooden arrows will easily go through leather/silk/cloth. More dangerous than goblins, in my opinion.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Joël

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:07:04 pm »

Capture them. Then put them in rooms with stuff made of wood.
Then, when their moral is down, let them fight against goblins/dragons/dwarfs.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:33 pm »

If you don't have a good military, Elves are a bitch to fight. They sneak up in huge waves and wooden arrows will easily go through leather/silk/cloth. More dangerous than goblins, in my opinion.

Quantity has a quality all of its own, that's true but elves are generally easy to handle. You don't need a good military, just an armoured one. :P And they're damn good at murdering your undefended livestock, the bastards.

On a related note, I should try some messing about in ye olde raws and see if I can use the wooden items as "logs" for use in a wood furnace. Turn them into ash or charcoal and then you have an actual profit from murdering the sods.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:57:38 pm »

I'm certain you can make a custom reaction to take any wooden object and make charcoal.  Or, for that matter, specify "any wooden weapons" or "any wooden armor" but then you might burn your own training spears if they're laying about.  "Any wooden furniture" would let you burn tables, chairs, beds, barrels, and bins as well, because things like bins, barrels, and buckets are technically furniture.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

In later waves of attacks, elves will ambush while riding war animals. Sometimes the animals will be revealed before their riders (or the opposite if the elves are bowmen). This applies even if the elf is riding a war elephant or a war giant badger.

Fighting elves is so awesome, that I have them set up as a permanently hostile enemy in most worlds I gen now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »

I had elves on grizzleys.  The bears would just loiter around the map and retaliate if attacked, so I ended up with a single soldier taking on entire siege-sized ambushes one on one, and winning hands down.  It was like worldgen battles!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »

Lucky. The only time I've ever seen hostile elves was that one time a trader went insane. I've slaughtered many a caravan over the course of my forts, and I still can't get them pissed enough. It's probably for the best, though, because I can never set up a military with all of my digging around anyway.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:52 pm »

In later waves of attacks, elves will ambush while riding war animals. Sometimes the animals will be revealed before their riders (or the opposite if the elves are bowmen). This applies even if the elf is riding a war elephant or a war giant badger.

Fighting elves is so awesome, that I have them set up as a permanently hostile enemy in most worlds I gen now.
How? this is exactly what i want to do for my next fortress!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:42:00 pm by magic dwarf »

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:41 pm »

Unicorns, man. Dangers of a horse with a horn to boot.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:09 am »

Capture them. Then put them in rooms with stuff made of wood.
Then, when their moral is down, let them fight against goblins/dragons/dwarfs.
Or better yet...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wanna know the best siege finder?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 12:34:57 am »

I started one fort (and only one) where my civilisation was at war with the elves.

Oh it was SO MUCH FUN!!!  Cute liddle elven limbs hanging from trees, unicorn horn crafts, wooden objects everywhere.  And so many strange animals to take - strangely, their traders still turned up on occasion.

I got breeding pairs of giant eagles, cave crocs and leopards too...

Can't seem to find this again, though...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: [1] 2