Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Melee Marksmen?  (Read 1367 times)

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Melee Marksmen?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 01:09:58 am »

Actually it really depends on which is higher, fighter or archer skill
My first post covered that, but in melee, it is normally about equal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 08:48:46 am »

Don't do it. I used to assign short swords and daggers to my marksdwarf squads but they almost invariably went in for melee when I gave a kill order. Maybe because they were bad shooters, of course.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 01:04:11 pm »

Don't do it. I used to assign short swords and daggers to my marksdwarf squads but they almost invariably went in for melee when I gave a kill order. Maybe because they were bad shooters, of course.
Does that include situations when they can't path to the enemy? I try to station my marksdwarf squads in towers that can only be accessed from within the fort, but I want them to be able to fight hand-to-hand in the corridors if the gates are breached and the military needs to fall back to the panic room where I've sequestered my civilians.

Of course, you can always do what I do and mod crossbows to come with bayonets.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 03:35:20 pm »

I don't know. I assume that they might path away from the tower, into the fort, and then out via a main entrance.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 [2]