Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I am disturbed right now  (Read 5367 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: I am disturbed right now
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:25 am »

To Op:

Now, more seriously.

I understand how you feel, I wish aurora rendered full 3D space battles, I wish dwarf fortress adventure mode was a first person epic with Witcher2 graphics, I wish that I had a toilet made out of solid gold. But in the words of Jayne Cobb: "If wishes were horses we'd all be eatin' steak."

I am a mediocre writer, I do the best I can. If a random person were to read what I wrote however and told me that it was an utter pile of mouse droppings garnished with larks vomit I would still be fairly pissed at them. Why? Because I don't that they can do better.

In my way of thinking there are two things to do if see something that you think needs to be done,

A. Do it.

B. Walk Away.

Whining about how bad something is gets you nothing, if you want to make a 3D DF then more power to you. I am not a programmer, beyond a few simple lines of utility code and a couple tricks I know jack about making that stuff tick. You want 3D DF, make it. You want a better game with physics and lighting and all that good shit? Make it.

Don't make a post on a forum that is paid for by the person who you are insulting telling them how they are smothering their creation. That my friend is ungrateful and rude.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2011, 12:13:09 am »

Oh lord, DM images.

OP, please lock the thread, it's just degenerating into a flame fest.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Locke

• Bay Watcher
  • Disregaurd Women, Apply Magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 08:32:28 am »

Well. If the worst thing you can complain about a game is the graphics, that game is allright in my books. I love DF's ACII graphics (I use phobeus btw). It has charm, it makes you THINK about what happens in the game rather than spoon feeding it to you with the same 50 animations the entire game. When a dwarf enters combat I'm constantly pausing, checking wounds and reading the combat log, not because it matters, but because I love constructing the battle inside my head. When you are playing DF it's not like reading a book at all, it's like being part of the book and writing it as you go. Also, it fits on a flash drive and I can play it at work. Nevermind that though.
No, I am not Locke from Final Fantasy.
No, I am not Locke from Lost.
I'm from Ender's Game, Mofo.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011, 10:44:25 am »

Toady you are ruining this game.

This implies that the game has somehow been taken in a direction other than what it started out as. That someone else had a hand in it.

He can't ruin the game, unless you say the game was ruined from the start.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:19 pm »

-hypnotized by Calhoun's avatar-

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2011, 01:53:18 pm »

-hypnotized by Calhoun's avatar-

Kinda tough without induction

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2011, 02:18:30 pm »

This implies that the game has somehow been taken in a direction other than what it started out as.

It clearly has, and not by anyone else meddling in it, but for the same reason that to get to the grocery store I start out going east and suddenly change direction and go south, i.e. because you can't always do things in a nice straight line.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 01:46:21 pm »

I'll say the same thing I've said before to people suggesting that toady make bay12games into a full software company:

You don't actually want the game developed like a corporate game, because if you did you'd already be playing something superficially pretty but utterly lacking in depth like COD or Halo. What you want is toady to pay money and somehow magically be able to code faster while maintaining complete creative control of the game. Here's a quick spoiler for you:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and one other thing: Toady deserves a hell of a lot more than the ~$30,000 per year he currently gets. If you think he should be paying a team of coders out of that money as well, then frankly you're insane (and not in a good way).

Of course, all this is completely ignoring the fact that some things which people seem to demand, such as 3D graphics, are utterly impossible to do well without completely redesigning the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, I read the OP in a bit more detail and it seems you are actually looking for a superficial, shallow game with pretty 3D graphics which requires a £200 graphics card to play. May I suggest you go and find such a game rather than complaining that someone who works for free has made a game too complicated for you to understand how to play. Seriously, wtf.

EDIT2: Also, from the sounds of it you have loads of bitcoins so you can easily afford a top-of-the-line gaming rig to play your £50 piece of shallow profit-driven drivel (just in comparison to DF though. I actually like some 'graphical' games). Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, what real-valued collateral are those bitcoins backed with? Last time I checked the increase in entropy due to wasted energy performing complex and meaningless mathematical problems didn't actually count as currency.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:06:45 pm by UberNube »
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »

$30,000 per year he currently gets

There have been years where he earned much less then this.

Though the average seems to be increasing unless I am just imagining it.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:27 pm »

$30,000 per year he currently gets

There have been years where he earned much less then this.

Though the average seems to be increasing unless I am just imagining it.

Yeah, I know the figure may well be wildly inaccurate for any given year. It was based on an average of $2-3k per month which seems typical for months where there are no major releases or other fundraising efforts. If you want explicit precision, make it $30,000±20,000 per year.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 04:32:43 pm »

Oh lord, DM images.

OP, please lock the thread, it's just degenerating into a flame fest.

Degenerating into?

This was a flamefest from the OP.  Seriously, insulting Toady (calling him selfish), complaining that - in an alpha - long-term goals takes precidence over the UI, calling it "bullshit", implying that Toady deserves to be fired, etc, is just bad form and rude.  Hardly the way to get people (let alone Toady) to take you seriously.

(But yes, this probably should be locked).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]