Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I have alot of copper. What do with it  (Read 3906 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: I have alot of copper. What do with it
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:41 pm »

Build a complex boiler powerplant. Actually, it's more for aesthetics, but if you want your fort/town to look cool, and have a more plausible-looking power source, go ahead with that.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 06:47:25 pm »

If you've already built furniture and roads with it then use the rest for trap components. Spam the map with serrated copper disc traps. You'll also get more bones then you would from using cage traps because the severed limbs are butchered seperately.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 06:47:52 pm »

he'll just headbutt people now that h'es limbless. But you just can't kill the bastard.

All right. We'll call it a draw.

Anyway, more on topic: bolts, bins and barrels. As said. Bolts because copper is a decent enough material for it and it's good weaponsmith-training. A lot of copper also means a lot of bolts which is always jolly useful. Bins to store the bolts in and barrels for booze. Perfect. :P

You could also make copper flasks, because material is irrelevant for flasks. You can also use it as armoursmithing training and then trade the copper suits of armour for steel to make new and better armour from.

Copper weapon-trap-weapons are useful too. What material you make ten serrated discs from to stuff in one trap seems to be fairly irrelevant.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »

swimming in copper, and I have no use for it. Halp

You could make a Chest or Copper pot.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:49:18 pm by Berserkenstein »

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 11:39:34 pm »

I'm rather drowning in copper myself, but have more than enough Cassiterite to be able to fully kit approx 30 dwarves in full bronze gear. Would it be wiser to go straight into bronze production, and deal with lower quality weapons/armor, or to continually make and melt copper in order to get higher grade weapon/armorsmiths first?
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:14 am »

Difference in quality is only noticeable if it's masterwork, so it's not very important. Practicing with copper while new bronze is being made is sensible though, it means you'll be able to forge continuously, which will train up your smiths so they smith faster. You can then easily sell the copper stuff, they should fetch an increasingly nicer price as quality rises.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 04:30:20 am »

I'm a metal lover myself. I hoard all metals, even measly copper. I love copper...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 05:36:15 am »

Build a gigantic copper alot. Alot of copper.
<3 Thank you. Saves me the effort of finding the article. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 06:16:40 am »

After the Alot of copper endeavor, perhaps some clever refuse pile planning is in order to make something new. Alot of goblins anyone?
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 08:33:05 am »

Alot of copper is the only proper thing to build :D

Or just make full body copper armor and hammers for every dwarf in the fortress. It's not very strong material, but... just imagine 100 or more dwarves, all clad in masterwork armor, rushing at the enemy. You could also search for (or import) some tin to make bronze, which is a pretty good material.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 09:41:01 am »

After the Alot of copper endeavor, perhaps some clever refuse pile planning is in order to make something new. Alot of goblins anyone?
Specialize the refuse piles so that only creatures whose symbol has a particular color are allowed in a certain tile, so as to get a better "image". And of course the pile will need to be refreshed now and then. I wonder if there's a compiled list of all the colors various creatures use, and if it's possible to segregate goblins by profession.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 10:28:00 am »

Make boatloads of bolts, a few crossbows to go with them, a few (dozen) shields, etc.

Oh, and don't forget to make some spears and swords for military, as well as picks and axes for your miners and woodcutters. I'm not too much of a fan for blunt weapons, I prefer things that can let loose some air from my opponents.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 10:35:26 am »

I love the aesthetics of copper barrels and flasks. Copper is a well-used material in alcohol storage.

Though, I also use copper to give my smiths practice. This is especially useful since I have artifacts turned off, and tend to use wood for charcoal more than anything.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 [2]