Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the power of the spinning stones  (Read 1013 times)

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the power of the spinning stones
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:25:17 pm »

So there's this big announcement on top of my screen.

the Dragon (insert long name here) is coming.
It's a magical beast that spit fire blah blah blah.

Pause the game.
Check the military
4 guys but 4 hardened guys (hammerlord,swordmaster, spearmaster, hammerdorf).

Well we'll wait for the beast to come to us, at least there are some traps, maybe we'll get lucky and cage him or make some damage before the conflict.
But caging the dragon will be great, will tame and train him and then use it versus our enemies.

Nice.

The Dragon approach and smash the doors apart.

Step on few traps, the spinning =spiked silver balls= just chip his scales. Great is going to make it to the cage traps.

The spinning andersite hit the dragon on the head, bruising the skin and jamming the skull into his brain.
The dragon has been struck down.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: the power of the spinning stones
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:27:19 pm »

CRITICAL HIT! :D
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 02:30:35 pm »

It's really amazing how fall stone traps are useless aganist everything except the big bad things that make you say: "hell he will fuck up my fortress".

I saw spinning stones killing giants, minotaurs and now also dragons.
While goblins are almost unaffected by them.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:32:55 pm »

It's really amazing how fall stone traps are useless aganist everything except the big bad things that make you say: "hell he will fuck up my fortress".

I saw spinning stones killing giants, minotaurs and now also dragons.
While goblins are almost unaffected by them.
I know right

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »

Most likley the dragon was super weak as they take 1000 years to reach maturity. If, as I assume, your worldgen was much shorter, then it was probably not up to much ocmbat wise and instead barely into its depressive teenage years.
This is a blank sig.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:38:42 pm »

Or maybe the little size of goblins and their speed, versus huge size of a dragon and lower speed makes stone-fall traps a good choice against big, slow things that still got a head and a brain that can be smashed by a huge rock.

Or it was just bad luck, just imagine if he spitted fire on your booze storage! Early underground new-year's eve!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »

Even old dragons seem to be Weaky McWeaksauce.  I almost always let my worldgen run for at least 1000 years and I've had a couple dragons show up at the current fort and a few at older forts.  Is there a way to tell how old they are?  If they are created at world start, then they all would have been over 1000 years old.

One stepped into a cage trap right away.  I left it untamed but out by the front gates, waiting for the next siege.  When the siege showed up, I waited until there were a dozen or more goblins near the dragon and pulled the lever.  The dragon managed to take a couple hits before it flamed and crisped a good dozen or two goblins and their mounts and most of their equipment ... and himself.  Dragons aren't fireproof.

The next dragon to show up happened to walk over a random weapon trap and bled out in three steps.

On an older fort I had a tamed dragon waiting as a guard-dragon by the front gates.  A bowgoblin headshotted it without slowing down before it even saw them.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 04:51:28 pm »

Looks like that MG and Semi Mega Beast can be extremely hard or lame, depending on the situation. A lucky shot can and will take them out, especially if you have a lot of stuff to throw at them.

On the side note, Bronze Colossus, lacking vital organs and stuff, are extremely tough and painful to deal with.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 05:00:53 pm »

Lack of armor does a lot of creatures in like this, sadly.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 05:06:51 pm »

Back in 40d I was freaking out because I got attacked by a dragon, spent the better part of the next two hours paused and designating a defensive structure in a nearby cliff.

Only to find out that unless they can physically path to the dwarves, they seem to ignore them, even with fire, and my marksdwarves took the better part of a season going back and forth between there and the ammo stockpile plinking it to death with wooden bolts.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"