Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good 4X Space games  (Read 1102 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Good 4X Space games
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:20:47 am »

IM fine with turn based or RTS ive played the original masters of orion for a while an am looking to expand. Free or low price (30$ tops)
thanks.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Good 4X Space games
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:24:24 am »

WhoA! Prepare for massive suggestions from ths bunch. I will add one and save some for the rest of the rabble. Distant Worlds: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds
I got nothing

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:25:08 am »

Aurora. It has a pretty steep learning curve, I didn't think it was as bad as Dwarf Fortress' though. It's free, too!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:33:05 am »

Ever tried out Sword of the Stars? It's fairly streamlined, as far as 4X games go, but it has a neat ship-building design element to it, and has a surprising amount of depth.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:17 am »

Turn based:
Sword of the Stars. (Sequel coming out next month, but will probably start above the $30 dollar limit. Combat is RTS.) (edit: ninjad)
Galactic Civilizations II. (And the first one)
Space Empires (V has some flaws, but some mods exist that improve it. IV and before are more polished I believe. For V, combat is RTS. All others have turn-based combat to my knowledge.)

RTS:
Star Ruler
Sins of a Solar Empire. (A stand-alone expansion is in the works too, but with an unknown release date.)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:45:14 pm »

Thanks guys ill look into these
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:28:05 am »

Add some oldies to the RTS list: Remember Tomorrow, Pax Imperia, Imperium Galactica 2.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India