Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tower Layout?  (Read 1257 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Layout?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 05:25:00 pm »

I'm now making the Pokémon tower in my fort with the layout from the first pokemon games including coffins leashed animals as trainers and coffins and statues especially coffins.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 05:41:14 pm »

once I actually put a fort in a tower - was very timeconsuming.

Why wouldn't it be?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 11:40:06 pm »

i build a lot aboveground.  for my dwarves, i put nobles, barracks, storage, and dining areas in the towers....... yes along with balista and marksdwarves.

goblins live in towers, however.  for my goblins, i put the whole fort in the tower.

Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:44 pm »

I DID build a giant tower from Obsidian as a goblin.
My layout:
The main tower should have enough room to hold two "shift-rooms": a room created by holding shift and expanding it left or right. It has either a 10x10 or 11x11 interior. A 2x halway seperates them going only one direction, and they're surrounded in a 1x hallway all the way around, with a spiral staircase at the back end of the 2x hallway away from the side the enterance is.
I surround the rooms in a 1x hallway so that I can carve fortifications into the walls and place archers up to rain down death on seigers.

Depending on how much space is in a shift room, your fort should be either 29 or 31 wide, and 16 or 18 long, with a 2x2 add-on for a stairwell at the end of the central hallway.

For the wide side: Outside wall, 1x Hallway, Interior Wall, Shift Room 1, Interior Wall, 2x Hallway, Interior Wall, Shift Room 2, Interior Wall, 1x Hallway, Outside Wall
For the long side: Outside wall, 1x Hallway, Interior Wall, Shift Room, Interior Wall, 1x Hallway, Outside Wall

Here's the level system for a tower I built on a map that had a volcano and a river.

Levels:
z4minus - flooded with magma for smelters
z3minus- smelters
z2minus - farms
z1minus - baracks, armoury
z0 - gathering area: trading depot, meeting hall
z1- food stockpile. for this level, I combined the two shift-rooms and the hallway into one room.
z2 - specific gathering areas: dining room, hospital
z3-10 - stockpiles for various goods, materials, and metals
z11 - burial rooms
z12+ - bedrooms, offices, etc.

This is not the tower I would build if I had a second go. I would build an entry tower that held the military, and that tower would be connected to two other towers, each accessable through the entry tower. One tower would hold stockpiles, the other would hold goblins.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:11:07 am by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.
Pages: 1 [2]