Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tower Layout?  (Read 1254 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower Layout?
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »

Those of you who have built multi-level above-ground constructions... what do you fill them with?

I have no problem visualizing a tower exterior, but I have no idea what to put in it. I have a 10 z-level valley, so I figure I could put a pretty nice 15 level tower on this map.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Layout?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:50:38 pm »

Marksdwarves.  Lots and lots of Marksdwarves.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »

Ballistae, I say! Four per level, one per side.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:21:06 pm »

Ballistae, I say! Four per level, one per side.

I love the replies to the threads on this board..

Anyway, Ballistae can still only hit targets on their own Z-Level, right?
It could be a nice decoration look to have 4 Ballistas per level, but that's it.

Usually, when I build a tower it's pretty much a "Vertical Memorial" of sorts. I never been able to finish one completely (always abandon fort/map in the middle of the project), but I fill them with coffins, and make special Tombs for awesome dwarves.
You can even build levels to bury the pets, since you'll have plenty of space.

Or you can make it some kind of barracks, with storage for weapons, armor, ammo, food etc, and every level is a room for a military squad, or a whole level for a training area / archery range.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:39:48 pm »

I put nobles 'offices', so they can look over their underlings.

Or a pattern of statues. I don't usually use the towers for anything important, though once I actually put a fort in a tower - was very timeconsuming.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »

Bedrooms. Make towers holding bedrooms. Make a fortress proper to work and meet at. Tired dwarves will have to walk farther to go to bed, making them want to sleep less.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 04:43:04 pm »

Last tower I built was a mini-project (not near epic enough by board standards to be a megaproject). It was about 30-z levels high of marble blocks, half of which descended underground via an artificial hole carved into the earth. The bottom fourth or so I devoted to workshops and stockpiles, alternating between a work-floor and a stockpile floor with industries that had overlapping resource needs sandwiching their relevant stockpiles. The top floor here also had the drawbridge that led to both my mining shafts and the old fort 'ghetto' where I sent the excess migrants to toil. The bridge was designed to double-seal with both the bridge itself and a floodgate and a tiny brick stockpile was eternally resting near by to let me seal the entrance up in case of flying giant monsters.

Above these were the armory floors, two or so, that contained all the weapons, armor, and siege weapon ammo, followed by the barracks and training rooms. Right above these were the defense levels, with my best ballistas overlooking a front entry bridge and catapults for the other sides. The level right above that was carved up between a trade depot, finished good stockpile, surrounded by an outer ring of fortifications for marksdwarves.

Next came the office levels, carved up to give every noble a decent office, then the nobles quarters (most of these actually branched OUT of the tower onto big ledges. They looked pretty and were also rigged to fall off with the pull of a lever), and finally the sleeping quarters for regular dwarves.

The final four levels were, in turn, a food and drink stockpile, a massive dining room with metal floors (just steel blocks, the most expensive thing I had in great numbers) and artifact-storage area, an indoor farming level, and the top floor was an open-air outdoor farming level/game preserve/statue garden ringed with fortifications.

Everything floor was linked via a broad staircase that made getting between levels a breeze, but also proved my undoing when a flying Forgotten Beast in the caverns (that the tower-pit opened up into) drifted all the way up, got past the defense levels, and entered the top of the tower. Pretty much went floor to floor killing everyone. Only the slav... er, immigrant workers in the ghetto area survived and they were killed not long after via tantrum spiral that resulted from the lack of food, drink, decent living conditions, constant vermin swarms, ect...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 04:51:06 pm »

Put your whole fortress in it.  Everything.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:05 pm »

MAGMA
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »

I know want to rebuilt the lavender tower in DF including statues to make sure you can only path through that defined space and lots and lots of coffins.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »

A different deadly trap on every floor or every other floor since you'll probably need some room to run the trap machinery and hold any fluids you may be using.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 05:07:51 pm »

I can always find something to stuff into a tower, pretty similar to what has already been posted, I guess: anything military-related that doesn't encourage civilians to wander around the tower, they remain "safely" underground. Depending on how high it gets I fill it with:

Level 1 (ground level): ballistae!
Level 2-3: Marksdwarves. Lots of marksdwarves. Also ammo storage.
Level 4-6: Barracks, archery range, ammo/armor/weapon storage.
Level 7+ (rarely get this far): tombs, military officer quarters/offices, whatever seems appropriate to the military theme.

I don't build them much higher than that, I tend to prefer above-ground fortresses of several 2-5ish level towers linked by walkable walls and such, I rarely build one huge tower more than 5 levels (designating those things level-by-level is just a pain).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:11:59 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:13:01 pm »

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 05:16:27 pm »

Incidentally, it's not magma anymore if you pump it up into an above-ground tower. It's lava :P
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 05:18:34 pm »

Make it out of clear glass, fill it with magma lava.

Most time when I make something above-ground, it's an above-ground fortress, my current fort being one. Or you could just use it as a prision. Remember to put a lever that opens all cages if you use it for that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2