Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals Slaughter Each Other In Pen  (Read 2225 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals Slaughter Each Other In Pen
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

I am very lazy, so i create a pastier and place all of the animals in the pastier. That works out great, but some of the animals start to kill each other very, very, VERY slowly. Is there a way i can make them stop? I had animals kill other animal species and their own species.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals Slaughter Each Other In Pen
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:31:49 pm »

This tends to mean you're packing too many animals into too small of a space.

I suggest you create a bigger pasture or create multiple smaller ones.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:21:43 pm »

Happens if i make it larger. I was thinking if it would be easier to just kill the animals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:23:47 pm »

No matter how big the pasture is, the animals will fight. You have to make them each their own pasture if you don't want them to.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:37:00 pm »

What Lectorog says is extremely effective when you have >5 animals. Having 5x5 for the larger creatures and 3x3 for the smaller creatures seems to work best in my opinion. Pasture rotation also helps.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »

Will it matter if i do not change the location of the pastures? Maybe its because there is not enough food and they are fight for it. I do not think so...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:03:46 am »

It doesn't matter if there's enough grass, they'll still fight. They're very stuck-up and spoiled when it comes to pastures.

Imagine your bedroom. Instead, you have a much bigger room, but you have to share it with 5 more people. Which would you prefer?

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:19 am »

Are any of these people girls?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:15:02 am by Comrade »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:38 am »

They're cows.

:P

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 12:35:31 pm »

After some heavy drinking one night, I woke up next to a cow before. :(

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:16:51 pm »

I have noticed that it works well if you don't have any meeting areas set up...when you do they all gravitate to the edge closest to said meeting area at least that's my experience...and that makes major issues.

Otherwise they seem to do fine for me even when I have a ton of animals in a fairly large pen.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »

I am very lazy, so i create a pastier and place all of the animals in the pastier.
Unfortunately, pasturing is annoying micromanagement. New baby animal born? You must manually assign it to pasture or it will starve to death in your dining hall. Ditto for animals that come with imigrants.

There is no automation at all. Animals will not seek food on their own, if hungry somewhere there is no grass. There is no way to automatic pasture assignment for immigrant animals. Born animals will not be automatically assigned to same pasture as mother. They will not spread all over pasture, but stay mainly in one spot, as if encouraging as much annoying infighting as possible. In other words, pastures was programmed sloppily and without much thought. Lack of related features, like animal caretaking (presumably this includes giving them food - that does not exists too) only worsens situation.

Just butcher grazers, it is not worth hassle.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »

is it really so hard to assign new creatures to a pasture? just pay attention to messages of newborn animals. Ive never had any issues with it.

And its added micromanagement to avoid a million animals in a cage and easy/infinite meat sources (though its still fairly easy to have a large number of cattle if you have something smaller like sheep)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 01:05:35 pm »

If you have no meeting area at all you don't need pastures. The animals will all hang around where there's grass, or go to some when they're hungry. If you have a meeting area, they'll stay there until they die.