Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armor vs Fairness  (Read 2239 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor vs Fairness
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 02:54:07 pm »

I find Mail Leggings to be more helpful than Greaves. In my current fort, the Dwarf civ doesn't get High Boots, but they do get Face Masks (I modded them in to be "Uncommon").
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 04:50:33 pm »

Thanks for all the ideas.  I know there's no right way, but it's always nice to see what others are doing.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

Real armor comes in layers - you can't wear (as in, it is physically painful and dangerous) metal armor without wearing hardened leather (or a modern equivalent) underneath it.  Wearing 1 of metal everything and a leather shirt/pants, leather gloves, leather/cloth cloak, socks, etc is perfectly reasonable. It's what people actually did.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »

As to the "there's no real idea how much multiple layers helps dwarves" comment... That is incorrect. I'll go !!Science!! it right now.

Also: Max assignable armor + Danger room training = Tank Dwarves. Although if you consider multiple layers to be "unfair" then this probably would be classed in the "blatant cheating" category.

Right - Hereonin Lies Science
Side 1 consists of: Dwarves with: Iron Breastplate, Iron Mailshirt, Iron Helm, Iron Cap x 2, Iron Gauntlets x 2, Iron High Boot x 2, toad leather cloak x 4, socks x 2, trousers x 2 Iron Scimitars x 2
Side 2 consists of: Dwarves with: Iron Breastplate, Iron Helm, Iron Gauntlets x 2, Iron High Boots x 2, Iron Scimitars x 2
Both sides are grandmaster armor users.
Result: 3v3: Side 1 won with absolutely no damage done to them.
6v6: Side 2 won, 1 fractured upper arms and a couple of lost teeth.
12v12: Side 1 won, 2 fractured right upper arms and some other miscellaneous damage. One death.

Fairly evident that extra layering makes a difference.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:22:35 pm by CriticallyAshamed »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »

I give them as close to full coverage as possible without multiple items or clothing. I've picked up the habit of 2 shields, however.

If you want a serious challenge even with the danger room and full armor, you can mod the raws to force all creatures of a race to wear something (which would also affect civilians). What I prefer, however, is to massively increase their size. A weapon strike does not just hit one part of the armor, it's like hitting the entire piece of armor. This is why you can regularly get glancing blows when using a candy axe vs an ogre with a pig tail fiber shirt. It's a very big shirt.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 08:40:16 pm »

As far as I know, dwarves can still die to enemy archers, lashers, and hammermen even with the best possible armor configuration. Also, ordering a dwarf to wear too many items can lead to situations where a dwarf would rather put on multiple socks than the armor boot.

In my opinion, armor layering is ok. Danger rooms are an obvious exploit.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 08:51:39 pm »

Well, to an extent, the layering is realistic. If you were going to war, would you wear every bit of armor you could that didn't significantly hinder you? Wearing layers on top of and under armor wasn't too uncommon, though obviously it varied significantly with the situation. (Fighting in armor is already exhausting and hot enough - obviously you're going to drop or add a few layers with weather changes) I usually change it up based on where I embark. On icebergs and other cold areas I'll usually add several extra layers, and in deserts I sometimes go without any metal armor together.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

As to the "there's no real idea how much multiple layers helps dwarves" comment... That is incorrect. I'll go !!Science!! it right now.

Also: Max assignable armor + Danger room training = Tank Dwarves. Although if you consider multiple layers to be "unfair" then this probably would be classed in the "blatant cheating" category.

Right - Hereonin Lies Science
Side 1 consists of: Dwarves with: Iron Breastplate, Iron Mailshirt, Iron Helm, Iron Cap x 2, Iron Gauntlets x 2, Iron High Boot x 2, toad leather cloak x 4, socks x 2, trousers x 2 Iron Scimitars x 2
Side 2 consists of: Dwarves with: Iron Breastplate, Iron Helm, Iron Gauntlets x 2, Iron High Boots x 2, Iron Scimitars x 2
Both sides are grandmaster armor users.
Result: 3v3: Side 2 won with absolutely no damage done to them.
6v6: Side 2 won, 2 fractured upper arms and a couple of lost teeth.
12v12: Side 2 won, 2 fractured right upper arms and some other miscellaneous damage. One death.

Fairly evident that extra layering makes a difference.
Just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting your results -- layers lost, and non-layers won with minimal damage?

Personally, I feel layering (to an extent) is reasonable, and to be expected.  Leather armor covered by a sandwich of three mail shirts and two brestplates, all of which is hidden behind a half-dozen (or more) different pieces of cloth or leather clothing (robes, cloaks, dresses, etc) however ...

The guys in meatspace that wear (wore) heavy armor typically have light clothing on, with heavy wool or padded gambeson (think hoodie, only thicker, and longer, and including sweat pants of the same material) over that, possibly a leather armor layer next, then chain (not always a full suit, as that shit is heavy and all the weight sits on your shoulders and/or belt), and possibly some plate (breast plate, greaves/vambraces, paldrons, etc).  Headwear worked about the same ... padded cloth or leather cap, possibly a chain coif (kinda like a ski mask, normally without the face covering part) over that, then a helm whose style could vary based on what the soldier was going to be expecting (or by culture).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 11:21:34 pm »

My bad I accidentally associated side 2 with the extra armor and typed the results wrong. I meant the heavily layered dwarves won with those situations. Fixing it now.
Pages: 1 [2]