Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armor vs Fairness  (Read 2241 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor vs Fairness
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:21 am »

In reading the wiki about armor, I've learned that you can bundle your dwarfs like Eskimo's with multiple pairs of pants and half dozen cloaks, etc.  I recognize when it comes to determining whether something is an exploit or not and to what extent I use it is my responsibility.  However I'd like to hear how others handle it.  Do you load up the little blighters will all the gear they can handle?  Do you stick to 1 of each item?  Or do you have some rationale that falls in between?

Thanks!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Armor vs Fairness
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:50:46 am »

Armor's the stuff you export in exchange of more trap components, if you ask me! :D

But... packing more armor on each dwarf isn't only positive. It slows them down a lot.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:51:58 am »

Heh, I'm probably the wrong person to ask but my armor requierments are generally whatever clothes they are wearing, one item each of armor (whichever 'kind'), and a leather cloak.  I can see the logic of having them wear leather under metal armor.

I honestly don't know the details but if having additional armor continually slows your dwarf (just as, if I'm not mistaken, plate armor will slow them more then leather) then it would sorta be ok. Tons of layers of armor but a very, very slow dwarf.  That said I still probably wouldn't do it.

Frankly in terms of 'ease' I find all steel to be too easy (for most fights at least).  Oftentimes unless I am giving myself numerous other challenges I'll limit myself to 'no steel armor' (in my current fortress incarnation I'll need all the help I can get so if I manage to get steel I'll take it).  I let myself us 'blue stone' armor but thats mainly cause I rarely dig up enough of that to do too much with and its fun to have my military commander decked out with something fancy.

So in short I guess I'd feel multi-layering armor beyond what is reasonable would no doubt make things too easy for my liking (but that is me, others may disagree) and depending on how it impacts dwarf movement it may be an exploit.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:01:31 am »

Honestly depends. Most of my armor sets look like one of these two, depending on what I'm fighting:
Code: [Select]
metal mail shirt
metal breastplate
metal helm
metal leggings
metal gauntlets
metal high boots
shield
weapon
If lacking in metal, I use this instead:
leather armor
breastplate
leather helm
leggings
gauntlets
leather high boots
shield
weapon
Decked out in leather and bone, dorfs are still immune to anything a normal creature could toss at them.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:19 am »

Adding mittens,cloaks,robes and a hood seems to cut down on injuries when combined with a true armor uniform, as suggested by Crazy. Increased armor user skill will increase their speed. Never hurts to have them undergo danger room training only equipped with armor for a season, to train this skill.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:40:50 am »

I don't use multiples of anything.  I've got no scruples against layering otherwise; I believe that's how armor was actually worn, with padding underneath.  You don't want to put on metal armor without something between it and your skin.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:51:02 am »

In my current fort (terrifying temperate forest), I plan on using the following for my military:

Bone Helm
Bone Greaves
Bone Gauntlets
Copper Shield
Steel Edged Weapon or Silver Blunt Weapon
Red Cloak

How else am I going to keep my doctor fresh?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:59:14 am »

Nah just use silver swords to eradicate the evil out of the animals.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:01:28 am »

I don't min-max with layering or multiple pieces.  Just one full set of armor, plus their regular clothes underneath.  I'm still on the fence regarding cloaks.  It's a silly thing, but I just don't like the idea of my dwarves running around looking like jawas ;).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:03:07 am by VerdantSF »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:33:52 am »

also of note, it is not currently well understood how much, if any, having multiples will affect protection.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »

Military get at least one layer of metal over everything (no repeated items). Clothing items are dresses, cloaks, and hoods. Civilians get metal helms and mail shirts, with gauntlets later on, and they get leather and bone otherwise. Leg function is more replaceable than hand function.

leather armor
breastplate
Those are both shaped. Do you manage to get both on a single dwarf at the same time?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:36 pm »

metal mail shirt
metal breastplate
metal helm
metal leggings
metal gauntlets
metal high boots
shield
weapon

My sets look similar, except I don't use leggings, I use greaves.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »

I aim for universal conscription with annual refresher training, preferably before tackling the caverns, so armour tends to be somewhat limited. Most of my militia are supposed to engage the enemy with crossbows (or latterly muskets) from behind fortifications anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:46:23 pm by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »

Leather Armour (the item) covers more than the Mail Shirt or Breastplate.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »

I use:
Breastplate
Mail Shirt
Helm
Cap
Hood
Cloak
Gauntlets
Greaves
High Boots
Socks
Shield
Weapon

Any more and you probably start hitting the problem of encumbrance wiping out your gains.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: [1] 2