Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Introduction to hidden dangers in Dwarf Fortress, please?  (Read 2186 times)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction to hidden dangers in Dwarf Fortress, please?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 12:15:30 am »

Yeah, give kobolds [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK], and maybe give scales [SHELL] and feathers [PEARL]. [HORN] works too, but I reserve [HORN] for nails. Just because I like dwarves to use every part of the enemy.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 07:27:01 am »

Okay, how do you desalinate water?
I have a volcano, with flux stone, very deep soil, shallow and deep metals (plural!), and clay. Only problem is the salt water...
Oh wait, would a stream really be salt-water?

Probably not, unless you're near the ocean.  However, wells desalinate water and pumps do, as well, but IIRC, the cistern has to be entirely constructed.  If you search the forums (especially the Questions one) for desalinate, salt water, desalinization, etc., you should come up with some answers.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:12 am »

Okay, how do you desalinate water?
I have a volcano, with flux stone, very deep soil, shallow and deep metals (plural!), and clay. Only problem is the salt water...
Oh wait, would a stream really be salt-water?

Probably not, unless you're near the ocean.  However, wells desalinate water and pumps do, as well, but IIRC, the cistern has to be entirely constructed.  If you search the forums (especially the Questions one) for desalinate, salt water, desalinization, etc., you should come up with some answers.

Yup, it now has to be lined with constructed material, in previous versions, smoothed stone would work.  Note that you must also construct FLOOR tiles, as well as walls.  If your desalinated water touches ANY non-constructed stone in a salinated biome, it'll all instantly revert to saltwater. 

As for subtle dangers, you might actually want to tweak the RAWs and turn off invasions for your first couple fortresses, to give you a chance to learn the inherent problems in simply BUILDING a fortress, without worrying about getting swamped in goblins and trolls at the same time.  Once you're reasonably secure in building a fortress without flooding with with water, magma, cats, or nobles, you can turn off "easy mode" and really suffer. :)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 09:13:06 am »

I'm going to go meta here.

The hidden danger of DF is that it's a self-directed game.

There is no goal. Really. There is absolutely nothing you can do which will make the game say "Congratulations, you win!" There is no victory condition.

I'm gonna meta your meta.

There is a victory condition.  Fail so spectacularly, or generate an event of such epic proportions that we forumers, your peers in the eyes of Armok, declare that you have won.

This is typically done via vast amounts of !!FUN!!. 

I have seen it a small handful of times.  Some day I may be so worthy.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0
Pages: 1 [2]