Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Repopulation Challenge  (Read 986 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
The Repopulation Challenge
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »

The challenge is, who can create the best, most prosperous vanilla fortress, with the biggest population of Dorfs possible... with NO MIGRANTS because the Civ is extinct. (Yes, I'm aware it's quite a... er, long term challenge)

If we can get a start where Dorfs are extinct then we can start! I can never seem to gen one.

RULES:
Dwarves will be extinct, so no migrants will be available.
Or caravans.
Due to lack of interest in the world above, the Dwarves will seal themselves underground.
Nobody leaves the fort once they're sealed in. Ever.
Biggest population wins.

It seems a bit boring, maybe we can spice it up a bit. Anyway, I'm off to search for an extinct world...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Earth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Repopulation Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:18 pm »

i've got one with two dwarven kingdoms, one got wiped out in the year 50, the other is on the verge due to war with the elves.

Do you get migrants from the other kingdom? Or only your own?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »

From what I have read, even if there are no dwarven civs nearby, you will still get at least two migrant waves.

If you want to rely only on the original 7 dwarves, then you can wall these guys off somewhere and let them die, or wall your own fort off from the outside world and ignore them entirely.

Unfortunately without changing population and child caps, you're going to hit a ceiling of the maximum allowable baby dwarves, at which point your dwarves will stop having kids until they start to grow up into adults.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »

Removing child caps would obviously be better. Pop cap should be removed also, but I doubt any fortresses will make it that far.

I recommend taking the "Millineum Fortress" approach to this - small embark, uncapped FPS. The fort will progress very quickly, and population will grow reasonably.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:51:25 pm »

There was a whole topic of testing, and I found ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to kill off the dwarven civ.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:03:58 pm »

Did you remember to turn off "parent civilization must survive" in your worldgen options?

Short of that I guess if enough people try one will succeed and can share the map.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:13:50 pm »

Did you remember to turn off "parent civilization must survive" in your worldgen options?

Short of that I guess if enough people try one will succeed and can share the map.

I think the option is to have a playable race survive. Meaning, if the dwarves all get wiped out, then the world will be rejected. If all dwarves are dead, you can't play fortress mode.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »

Embark on an island then?

Entih

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 04:40:02 pm »

I've tried something like this before, and couldn't get it.  If you make a world without a Dwarf or fortress-playable civ, you can't embark.  You can try to embark where the Dwarven civilizations can't reach, but even if you embark on a far flung island you will still get migrant waves and Dwarf caravans.  The only way I can think is to use imagination, seal off from the outside world COMPLETELY in the fortress, and murder migrant waves.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 05:09:26 pm »

Seems like a challenge where the age for dwarves reaching adulthood should be lowered.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »

While not exactly a dwarf-less world, while experimenting with modding for my attempt at the Cavern Challenge, I discovered that if you remove [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] from their entity entry, your civilization would be unable to send any caravans. Without caravans for trade, you were pretty much guaranteed to only get the first two migrant waves and these you could keep pretty small by generating as little wealth as possible in that first year. After those first two waves, the only other dwarf I ever saw was the outpost liaison, who I passed off as just a dwarf driven to utter madness by the loss of the entire dwarven race as he continued to show up every year wanting to know which goods we'd be needing from the trade caravan that existed only in his head. Snubbing him as often as possible, if not setting up his death, probably also helps ensure no one else turns up.