Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Compressed files error?  (Read 443 times)

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Compressed files error?
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:49:59 pm »

I hate to ask here and bother you guys, but I can't find anything on the wiki or on google. I'm getting this message when I try to open up one of my fortresses:
One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Restore from backup if you are able.
It works for the rest of them, and I have no additions/tile packs. Is there any way to fix it (I don't have backups) or do I just need to scrap the whole thing?
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Compressed files error?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »

Sounds like some sort of save corruption. Various things can happen, and they're not too common, so I don't think there are any know causes or fixes. I had a similar - perhaps the same - error a while ago. As far as I know, there's no fix. You'll have to scrap the world, gen a new one. One of the less fun ways to lose.

If save issues happen more, you may want to disable save compression in the init file. There's an option for that.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:07 pm »

Losing is fun!  Wait...

You may also want to turn on seasonal or yearly automatic backups.  It's kind of a pain, but less of a pain than potentially having to start over.

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:35:23 am »

What these guys said. That's the reason why my save folder rarely weights less than 2 Gb  :D