Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF incredibly slow on a high-end computer  (Read 1867 times)

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF incredibly slow on a high-end computer
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

quote:
Is your graphics card a GTS or GTX series? I have an 8800 GTS, only 1GB RAM and the same processor, running XP too. I don't experience any framerate problems when starting a fortress (FPS around 150). Therefore, your problem is likely to be related to your drivers.

Neither, it's a GT.
If it is my drivers, I don't think there is much I can do about it, then..

quote:
start -> run -> dxdiag
click "save all informations...", then paste the content of the text file into pastebin.ca and link to it here.

http://www.pastebin.ca/915245

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

Try this driver, it should automatically update/upgrade from your other driver, or if it's the one you've already got, try the one I am currently using, once again, it should downgrade on it's own with no hassle.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

I had the first one installed already, but I installed it again, then tried the second one, which gave me an error saying "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware".

I suppose it probably is the drivers since I never updated the drivers on the integrated MX 5200 on my laptop.

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

I think what would work would be to roll back to older drivers.  Sometimes the older ones actually work better than the newer ones,  people (FPS gamers, etc) oftentimes try many different sets of drivers before they settle on a particular one.

With Win XP, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, this is the procedure for installing older drivers:

Download the older driver that you want to use.

Go into control panel, click on Add/Remove Programs;  Remove your old drivers, which should be listed as something like NVIDIA Graphics Display Drivers or something like this (if you have an nforce mobo make sure you don't remove your mobo drivers, which would be listed as something other than display drivers)

Reboot your computer.  When you load back up, the OS will try to install new drivers for you, just cancel out of the dialog.

Install the drivers that you downloaded earlier by running the .exe

Reboot.

Your new drivers will be installed without the old ones monkeying up your setup with files laying around.  If you've installed the right ones, your DF driver woes will be fixed.  You'll need to check out whether or not these new (old version) drivers work for your other games, too.

Something else you might try is turning down graphics acceleration when you run DF;  go to start menu, run, type in 'msconfig';  there's a thing in there to adjust your graphics acceleration settings;  set it to one of the lower acceleration settings.  Run DF;  this might fix the problem.  (This last one I can't recall if it's in msconfig or not, I haven't used XP in a year or so, but it is somewhere, maybe under display settings)

This second fix may work better, since you would be able to use your current drivers with your other games, and just turn down the acceleration when you run DF.  I don't think that turning down acceleration would effect DF too much, but I'm not entirely sure on that either.

Hope this helps, good luck

Edit:  This might be a long shot, but I've also heard that the sound in DF can cause problems on some setups.  Maybe try disabling the sound in the init file.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Old School Gamer ]

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

I'm really excited to say that my dwarf fortress is running just as fast as my laptop.

I uninstalled my drivers and tried to install the older ones. I got the same error and installed the newer drivers again. Unfortunately, my computer was fucked up for some reason. I couldn't right click, and do a bunch of other things. I decided to start from scratch and install XP again (my HDD was cluttered to shit anyway). I still have the newer drivers installed, too, and everything else. I'm not quite sure why it's running so fast, now.

But, thanks guys, you're great.

EDIT: Also, I can never find a magma vent with a sedimentary layer. If I do, it's an aquifer  :(

I wish I could turn those off or something

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: C0nscript ]

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 03:46:00 am »

As you install and uninstall programs, write over drivers, and fiddle with Windows, it gradually accumulates old drivers, useless registry crap, extra background processes, and so forth. That's usually why a clean install runs faster.
Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.
Pages: 1 [2]