Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Z levels above ground  (Read 1963 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Z levels above ground
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:54 am »

How much lag do the z levels above ground cause?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Z levels above ground
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:55:41 am »

None if they aren't used.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »

I would be not that sure. Famous adamantine elevator with over 2k z-levels above ground had very low fps and I bet amount of z-levels somehow contributed to this.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »

Well, I guess they were used then. Perhaps there was magma or something floating up there? At least the z-lag should be constant, so you should be able to put a few hundred z-levels in without harming your framerate too much. Flying creatures won't pathfind-floodfill your sky failing to find a path to someplace because they test for pedestrian access first. Actually, I don't know how they pathfind when they're currently flying, but flying creatures in need of pathfinding don't occur very often; just make sure to keep your gates open when a goblin siege rides in on giant cave swallows.  ;D

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:12:33 pm »

Adamantine elevator level was bugged in more ways than z-level.  I wouldn't be so sure that z-levels had to do with its framerate problems.

Who knows?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:50:02 pm »

Extra z-levels cause framerate issues, as you still can spawn and move vermin through all of that empty space. Think about it.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »

Not really. Vermin won't spawn or move into non-existant squares, which those "extra" z-levels are until someone builds on them.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 05:37:00 am »

Hell, I'm just gonna try it out now.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 05:46:27 am »

Ok, finished testing. The upper limit is a mere 100 Z-levels, and they don't seem to have any effect; I embarked on a 40-tile-wide waterfall, it made no difference. Perhaps it will get a little laggy in a cold region (with freezing and such), but as far as I know, z-levels above ground seem to reduce z-levels below ground. Just go ahead if you haven't yet.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:41 am »

Ok, finished testing. The upper limit is a mere 100 Z-levels, and they don't seem to have any effect; I embarked on a 40-tile-wide waterfall, it made no difference. Perhaps it will get a little laggy in a cold region (with freezing and such), but as far as I know, z-levels above ground seem to reduce z-levels below ground. Just go ahead if you haven't yet.
The thing is that z-levels above ground don't exist until you try to build on them. It's an optimization toady did in between the 0.28 and 0.31 releases. So they shouldn't cause any lag at all.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:22:45 am »

Great!