Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The best version of DF  (Read 3264 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: The best version of DF
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 01:15:28 am »

I had only heard a few mentions of DF back then, so I'll ask you:

What were your initial reactions when you heard DF was going 3D?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 01:25:07 am »

One thing that I do miss about older versions is the insanely unbalanced wildlife. In the current version, even large predators tend to steer clear of you unless they can pick off some livestock while there's no dwarves around. In older versions everything wanted you dead. Features included:

- killer fish. Skill use raises a critter's stats. Swimming counts as skill use. Fish were effectivel stat-grinding all the time. Back in 40d and earlier, carp were considered one of the most terrifying organisms in the known world, and with good reason.
- Killer elephants. A critter's size used to have a scaling effect on its stats, which meant that large animals effectively had obscenely badass stats. Fighting anything bigger than a cow was a pretty dicey proposition, and elephants were unstoppable murderous juggernaut.
- killer unicorns. Before undead animals were introduced, good biomes tended to be every bit as deadly as evil biomes just because of goddamn unicorns. They're still pretty badass, but nowhere near what they used to be.
- killer predators. None of this lounging around and occasionally eating a goat business. If you had a pulse, you were definitely on the menu for anything with fangs.
- killer training. Back in the good old days your military dwarves didn't train by "training" and "drilling". They just belted the fuck out of each other with whatever weapon they were equipped with at the time, and if you wanted to be totally Dwarfy you'd say "to hell with wooden practice weapons" and give them steel battleaxes. Training with real weapons was an exercise in Darwinian natural selection, and it was hilarious.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 01:26:51 am »

In 2D, I could imagine my fortress as something like Moria, with tall hallways, and bridges across chasms. In 3D, it's more like a basement level mall. Also, fort screenshots are less awesome.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 05:06:19 am »

In 2D, I could imagine my fortress as something like Moria, with tall hallways, and bridges across chasms. In 3D, it's more like a basement level mall. Also, fort screenshots are less awesome.

I'd assume fort designs, on the other hand, are a lot *more* awesome.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:42:15 am »

Toady is too meta for that.  He keeps his computer in a well-ventilated cardboard box.  That torch-proof safe in the wall?  There's nothing in there.  Just live bees.

Like this?

- killer training. Back in the good old days your military dwarves didn't train by "training" and "drilling". They just belted the fuck out of each other with whatever weapon they were equipped with at the time, and if you wanted to be totally Dwarfy you'd say "to hell with wooden practice weapons" and give them steel battleaxes. Training with real weapons was an exercise in Darwinian natural selection, and it was hilarious.

To hell with wooden training weapons! They don't have the real feel!

Seriously, I never let my dwarves use wooden training weapons.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 08:00:41 pm »

Toady is too meta for that.  He keeps his computer in a well-ventilated cardboard box.  That torch-proof safe in the wall?  There's nothing in there.  Just live bees.

This

edit: Whoops, Ninjaed by my own inability to check the very latest post before adding my own...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:03:45 pm by Starver »

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 10:07:03 am »

I like 2d better too. i love the new features but I dont like to mess with z levels. Its so much better to see everything at once. Making flat fortress isnt quite the same bcos it seems fake

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 11:47:55 am »

it's a bluff then? if a thief comes in, they beeline (hmmm... pun :O )for the safe, crack it open, then die from being stung to death?
what kind of bees? if they are honey bees, only 1 sting, unlike bumble bees and killer bees

Gigantic raw-modded magma-immune bulletproof bees of pure murder.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2]