Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The best version of DF  (Read 3259 times)

Fire_fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The best version of DF
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:29:51 pm »

I am seeing people talk about cool stuff that's in the older version of DF and I was wondering what the best version to play on is. There seems to be a lot of fun stuff missing from 2010. So whats the best version to play on?

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The best version of DF
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »

31.25  :)

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »

2010 (the current version) is pretty clearly the best. The only thing you have in .40d that is missing from 2010 is that the nobility works better, basically meaning that your Hammerer and Dungeon Master will show up and do their jobs. Also, you can turn on the Dwarven Economy but everybody who does that turns it right back off again because it sucks. About the only other advantage I can think of for .40d is that coal and tin were more common back in .40d but you can still find them in 2010 if you pick your embark site correctly. Plus 2010 has improved and expanded industries and a much better interface for recruiting, training, and fielding your military, as well as more interesting underground features to discover, heh heh.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:46:25 pm »

The last version that had any significant "cool stuff" that 31.25 doesn't was 40d, and the "cool stuff" that 31.x versions have that 40d doesn't vastly outweigh the reverse. The only significant stuff 40d has that 31.25 doesn't were bottomless pits, chasms, underground rivers, dungeon masters, and wagons. Bottomless pits and chasms were basically just tiny caverns with infinite garbage dumps in them. Underground rivers were mostly just underground water sources and triggered underground plant growth. The caverns have the underground creatures that pits, chasms, and underground rivers did in 40d, have subterranean water sources most of the time, and trigger underground plants' growth, and are actually present on every map, and are thus much better. Wagons are somewhat redundant; they increased a caravan's trade capacity, but since item weights have been greatly decreased and pack animal capacities increased, they wouldn't much help now. In short, the only really important thing that's missing in 31.25 is the dungeon master, and that only isn't present due to a persistent bug.

The best version is the most recent stable one, in other words. In the past, the stable versions have typically been even-numbered, but due to the large number of changes with version 31.19, several bugfix versions came out in fairly rapid succession and as a result 31.25 is the most recent stable version.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:50:23 pm »

v1.1.56

What...  not out yet?  Darnit, I misdialled my time machine again.  And I forgot to bring back a copy on holodiamond.  (And a holodiamond reader.  And a QuantumBus connector to use with the reader.  And a QuBus to OptiLink converter.  And an OptiLink to SuperUSB converter.  And a SuperUSB to USB3.0 converter.)

In all seriousness, the latest one (currently what ext0l said), unless the latest one of the moment has just come out in which case you're perhaps advised to wait a day to see if there's a new sub-sub-version (and rinse and repeat, until there isn't) unless your aim is more to see the newest features and are willing to suffer the couple of unforeseen teething and compatibility troubles and perhaps even help Toady identify what unanticipated breakages need fixing for that new sub-sub-version.  Which would be good.

If you're not willing to be so bleeding edge, the last 40D version was pretty good.  Lacks a lot of new features, and others have been vastly changed, but some people prefer a pre-caverns, old-style military, non-FBish, pastureless, nobility unbroken, economy-enabled, ridiculously resource abundant game, even while others are enjoying (or at least living up to the challenge of) the newer changes.

Slightly ninjaed, and I've run out of <identity of futuristic power source censored by Time Police>, so I can't go back a few minutes and de-ninja myself.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17:07 pm »

It will always be the next version.   8)

Second place would be the current version, though I do miss wiping out forest retreats. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17:51 pm »

There are some unfortunate bugs in 31.25, like dungeon masters, sun berries, glumprongs, etc. All these problems are fixable, however.

And neither economy nor wagons are worth giving up rock pots and vastly superior military system of DF2010 for. Overall the latest version is indeed the best one.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:29:55 pm »

I will admit to a certain amount of nostalgia for 40d, and I did like actually being able to get sliver barbs/sun berries, wagons, and the dungeon master, but DF2010 and particularly 31.25 are superior in nearly all other respects. Older versions are interesting for digital archaeology, going back and looking at previous versions, but I really will stick with DF2010. I love glass pots, ceramics, caverns, eggs, wool and milk, and hospitals entirely too much to go back.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 04:38:31 pm »

I personally love 31.18... i find it doesn't have all the new stuff that distracts me from playing :|
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 04:47:28 pm »

0.28.181.40d
0.23.130.23a

Or: The current version, 40d, and 23a. All pretty stable, all very different playing experiences. I think the statement that they are the best can be supported by the fact that they each have a seperate wiki (sort of).

My personal favorite is the current version. Always. :) The newest version almost always has the most stuff to enjoy, as the game is added to constantly. I mostly just play the game, though - I'd love it in any version.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 06:14:18 pm »

My personal favorite is 23a. Simplicity at it's best*.

*DF standards
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 09:37:39 pm »

The next one. That will always be the answer.

And all you have to do is figure out some way to get a copy from Toady One's computer. Beware, it menaces with spikes of silicon and hanging rings of lanyard (ThreeToe butchered a flash drive to meet the requirements), and it is stored in a stockpile somewhere in a magma-trapped, kobold-proof room.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 10:54:21 pm »

Toady is too meta for that.  He keeps his computer in a well-ventilated cardboard box.  That torch-proof safe in the wall?  There's nothing in there.  Just live bees.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 12:51:32 am »

The best version is the most recent stable one, in other words. In the past, the stable versions have typically been even-numbered, but due to the large number of changes with version 31.19, several bugfix versions came out in fairly rapid succession and as a result 31.25 is the most recent stable version.

While I favor stability over new features, I must admit that 31.25 is an extremely good version in terms of both. Toady's got the balance in check.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 01:05:27 am »

Playing 23a is HILARIOUS(it was the last 2D version, right?) when you've gotten used to 40d and DF2010.
Really shows how much the game has changed during the years. Dorfs are more active, nobles were even more insane back then(not to mention all the Guild leaders who acted like small nobles), cave-in's sort of made sense, goblin and kobold thieves were able to successfully infiltrate a fortress and only be noticed while in the dining hall...

Good times.
I should play some 2D DF again at some point.

It's hilarious how lazy the soldiers are with sparring though.
Never got past Recruits the last time I tried. The goblins showed no mercy, and my magma-flooder wasn't finished.
Pages: [1] 2