Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Super Duper Totally Official List of Awesome Movies  (Read 5375 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Super Duper Totally Official List of Awesome Movies
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:50 pm »

Not nearly enough Asian cinema. Hong Kong alone has been cranking out must-see, fun-as-hell action flicks for decades.

The Protector/Tom Yum Goong because elephant femur tonfa. (It's at about the 3:30 mark). Plus the six million or so joints and bones that Tony Jaa breaks prior to this scene.

Shaolin Soccer, Iron Monkey, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, hell pretty much anything Yuen Woo-ping has so much as breathed on. CTHD and Hero have the advantage of also being beautifully filmed stories besides the wuxia wireworks. Zhang Yimou is awesome.

And Red Cliff if you want a Chinese take on epic movies, i'm not sure when the second part is coming out but i doubt it can fail in any way :D

True, but the list seemed to be trying to go more for action-oriented films. Albeit, there are some killer fight scenes in Red Cliff. I was a bit disappointed they focused so much on Zhao Yun as the penultimate badass and downplayed Zhang Fei and Guan Yu. I mean, the latter is now a god. Literally.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 10:36:59 pm »

Woot, some old favourites of mine on th OP list - Shogun Assassin for the win!

"We are the Masters Of Death".

Not so sure on some of the new ones e.g. "Hot Fuzz", that's OK but not the best ever. Must've been fairly new when the list was compiled, so "honeymoon effect"?

EDIT: @Aramco (Below): hmm I'm tempted to go back and count how many I've seen now....brb

I count exactly 40 films on that list I've seen for sure, plus I suspect I've seen 2-3 more on TV but forgotten or not known the title, and things like Forrest Gump where it's been on TV but I was tuned out doing something else, not really my thing. Many of the others have been recommended to me in the past, e.g. "The Big Lebowski". I'm surprised it's so much actually.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:57:01 am by Reelyanoob »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:42 am »

I've only seen 10 of those movies.

I expected much lower.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 09:08:42 am »

52 from the original list.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »

Seen 38 from the original list, rolled #69.

Just personal opinion here, but a few of those honestly don't seem like "greatest movies of all time" to me, so much as "fairly recent movies that were decent (or at least better than all of the other crap)", especially when there are a whole lot of really, really awesome movies out there that weren't listed.  :-\

Meh, either way, idea: 99 campiest movies of all time. My nomination: The Werewolf of Woodstock.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »

Huh, I've seen only 22 of those.

Might have to fix that eventually.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2011, 12:21:51 am »

One shy of 50 for me. Of course I'm a film school dropout. Landed the Shining; seen it. This list is tragically lacking in so-bad-its-good like Birdemic or my avatar source, Gymkata!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2011, 03:11:41 am »

Yeah and no mention of "Superbabies: Baby geniuses II" WTF???

Here's IMDB's 100 worst films ever as voted by site users (the reviews of Superbabies are good for a laugh):

http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

Paris Hilton has 2 movies in the bottom 20 "Pledge This" and "The Hillz". They use to both be in the bottom 10, but they've been push out by even worse movies unfortunately.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2011, 03:13:09 am »

The biggest shame is that there's enough easily entertained imbeciles in the world that the Transformers trilogy will never make the bottom 100 :P

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2011, 03:23:19 am »

You obviously have a poor understand of exactly how bad bottom 100 movies actually are. These are so bad, many barely qualify as "films" at all. Transformers may be bad (I've avoided them so far), but they at least are movies enjoyed by somebody.

I'll show a couple of covers here

#2 Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2:

#3 Daniel - Der Zauberer (2004):
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:25:32 am by Reelyanoob »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2011, 07:33:50 am »

WTF is that last one...like a cheap German ripoff of Harry Potter?

Obviously Manos, the Hands of Fate would end up on that list. As would much of the 'Syfy original movies' catalog.

I dunno, this is a tricky category. Because ideally you're looking for movies that are so bad, that they sail right on past being so-bad-its-good and back around to being so-bad-its-bad. The kind of thing where you can't even enjoy mocking it because there's not enough camp value. I'd nominate The Judas Project. Only movie I've ever gotten up and walked out on.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »

Ahh RedKing if only we had a time-machine to go back and advise the German's to make Daniel - Der Zauberer as a cheap Harry Potter rip-off. That idea is infinitely better than what the film is actually about.

Daniel Kubelbock (or whatever his name was), the star, is a non-actor who appeared on a German reality TV show (German Idol or something), playing himself, in a badly written and acted cliche kidnap movie. He is some sort of amateur stage-magician in real life or something. I will never see this film, but that's basically what I remember from IMDB, my memory might be off here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]