Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Super Duper Totally Official List of Awesome Movies  (Read 5379 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Duper Totally Official List of Awesome Movies
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 11:07:26 am »

It should have both monty python movies on there.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 11:23:06 am »

Alright, so going through the thread so far...

Quote from: Bay 12 Auxiliary Awesome Film List
100. Shaun of the Dead
101. Unforgiven
102. Aliens
103. No Country For Old Men
104. Galaxy Quest
105. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
106. Monty Python's Life of Brian
107. The Princess Bride
108. Kick-Ass
109. The Iron Giant

Next?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:19:02 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 11:31:15 am »

The Princess Bride, definitely.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 11:37:49 am »

Watched Crank, 'twas quite a fun adrenaline filled haze of guns, tits, and car chases. Time to watch Crank 2! Any opinions on the sequel? I've seen reviews that say it's utter garbage, and others that say it's pure gold, and there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

The problem with Crank 2 is by all means you can consider it a completely different movie. Sure the premise of both movies are the same but the tones and how they go about this premise are entirely different.

For example in Crank 2 in order to make sure his Pacemaker doesn't go out he recharges it by sexually rubbing up against an old woman because she is wearing a sweater (unless the commercial lied), when a news cast asks the Old woman about it, she says she essentialyl enjoyed it.

Thus making Crank 2 a lot more like a Parody of the first Crank.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 12:11:39 pm »

Also add Revolver and Sucker Punch to that list, then Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass also City of God.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 12:14:01 pm »

I've heard all manner of controversy over Sucker Punch, so no.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

Really?

It's not all that special, it has a nice idea and a very unique execution but that's all there is to it, don't really get what should be controversial about it :/
AS - IG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 12:34:18 pm »

Really?

It's not all that special, it has a nice idea and a very unique execution but that's all there is to it, don't really get what should be controversial about it :/

Sucker punch is 3 movies. One of them is ridiculously awesome fun, the other two are still well executed but definitely not fun.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 02:46:35 pm »

I rolled 100 so I'm going to watch The Iron Giant again. You all should too. That movie was part of my childhood.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 02:48:43 pm »

I rolled 100 so I'm going to watch The Iron Giant again. You all should too. That movie was part of my childhood.

It was sort of after my childhood

Though it sort of fell into all the "Child and his crazy friend" movies that were quite abundant at the time... they even had the "Jerk who is the cartoonish badguy".

Goodness this makes me want to watch Stich (I think Lilo and Stich could be the sequel) though if only because it actually handled the idea that "Crazy friend" is bad.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:58:38 pm by Neonivek »

Vault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »

It should have both monty python movies on there.

By both which of the five movies they made do you mean? I'd assume two of the three more popular ones... but you never know. -.-;

Scored 44... I'll not roll on it though, partially because I don't have time to add more to my backlog of stuff to watch... and partly because there are a few numbers in there I'd have to black out of my d100 because they're utter crap and there's no way in hell I'm watching them again... or at all in the case of The Hangover. ;p

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 08:14:37 pm »

Not nearly enough Asian cinema. Hong Kong alone has been cranking out must-see, fun-as-hell action flicks for decades.

The Protector/Tom Yum Goong because elephant femur tonfa. (It's at about the 3:30 mark). Plus the six million or so joints and bones that Tony Jaa breaks prior to this scene.

Shaolin Soccer, Iron Monkey, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, hell pretty much anything Yuen Woo-ping has so much as breathed on. CTHD and Hero have the advantage of also being beautifully filmed stories besides the wuxia wireworks. Zhang Yimou is awesome.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »

Is this a troll list? Why are Vanilla Sky, 21, and Re-animator on a list of the top 100 films of all time?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »

Not nearly enough Asian cinema. Hong Kong alone has been cranking out must-see, fun-as-hell action flicks for decades.

The Protector/Tom Yum Goong because elephant femur tonfa. (It's at about the 3:30 mark). Plus the six million or so joints and bones that Tony Jaa breaks prior to this scene.

Shaolin Soccer, Iron Monkey, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, hell pretty much anything Yuen Woo-ping has so much as breathed on. CTHD and Hero have the advantage of also being beautifully filmed stories besides the wuxia wireworks. Zhang Yimou is awesome.

And Red Cliff if you want a Chinese take on epic movies, i'm not sure when the second part is coming out but i doubt it can fail in any way :D
AS - IG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4