Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Google Plus opened to the public...  (Read 5413 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Google Plus opened to the public...
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:02 am »

Im forced to use facebool because of school. :(

You should tell them that you can't use facebook because you're afraid of datamining and want to maintain your personal privacy. Stir the pot a little.

Honestly though, a school requiring facebook strikes me as extremely odd. What's the context under which they make you use it?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 04:16:37 am »

Im forced to use facebool because of school. :(

You should tell them that you can't use facebook because you're afraid of datamining and want to maintain your personal privacy. Stir the pot a little.

Honestly though, a school requiring Facebook strikes me as extremely odd. What's the context under which they make you use it?
I suppose if (s?)he wants to use the computer at school, which might be his/her only access to the interwebs, they might want him to use 'trusted' sites for certain things. But then how does she reach these forums...
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 05:59:05 am »

We have a small project and our team decided that we're going to use facebook to discuss what we're going to do and when to meet and so on.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 06:40:04 am »

Just tell your squad that Google+ is the way of the future. And you can have more than one online account you know... Just use both!
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 07:00:09 am »

Google+ and facebook are a problem in the fact that they are supposed to be medium of communication between peoples while completely public as he same time. You have zero privacy on them and should use them as public places .

This isn't remotely true. I don't know about anyone else, but on Facebook I restrict my updates to people on my friends list.

Not that Facebook or Google have the best track records with regard to privacy, but they aren't wholly public spaces either. And the chat/messaging features are even less public than that.

That's exactly what I'm speaking about : facebook then take those information and sell them. The fact that you restricted something to your friend list change nothing. In that respect they are wholly public. Beside "you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.". Privacy?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:56 am »

That's exactly what I'm speaking about : facebook then take those information and sell them. The fact that you restricted something to your friend list change nothing.

I highly doubt that they share restricted posts with anyone.

"you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.". Privacy?

You conveniently left out a key portion of this (in bold):
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 12:19:34 pm »

I highly doubt that they share restricted posts with anyone.

So nice of you to be trusting.

You conveniently left out a key portion of this (in bold):

So what : you still grant them those rights, no?

And last, Facebook is know to always cooperate with governments. So if you did anything against the law, or worse anything that put you in a odd light, beware.

Given the craze about video games these days ....
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 07:15:55 pm »

So what : you still grant them those rights, no?

... Did you read the part I put in bold? The permission you give them is subject to your privacy and application settings. So no, you effectively don't give them those rights to things that you don't make public (unless they're just showing it to people you agree to show it to, obviously).

And last, Facebook is know to always cooperate with governments.

So will just about any other company.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »

Locking this, because the point has been made, the people have discussed and ultimately it's devolved into another stupid circular argument.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]