Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Google Plus opened to the public...  (Read 5407 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Google Plus opened to the public...
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 11:02:53 pm »

Google+ should advertise as "Facebook with a hint of Twitter and without that annoying scrolling thing in the corner of your version constantly changing that you can't get rid of. Seriously, is this 1995? Am I on a geocities web page? What the fuck were they thinking?". That'd make a lot more people switch over. Usually I find myself defending facebook's GUI updates to my friends since they are usually not negative changes and people just dislike them because "omg changezors!" but this time? This time they done fucked up -.-

to be fair, you can just edit the html with chrome and get rid of the sidebar.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:09 pm »

How? Do you just slap the chrome:// onto the beginning, or is there a deeper, more powerful method that involves beings that should never be spoken of in the darkness?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 01:29:51 am »

Eh, I check it when I can't think of anything better to do. That is to say, not often.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 06:14:33 am »

As I understand it, the real talking point of Google + is the crop circles, or something like that anyway.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 07:39:55 am »

I would switch over from Facebook to Google+ in an instant, I'm just too young according to Google :(.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 02:32:21 pm »

I prefer Tuenti.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 02:46:21 pm »

Oh man, I was looking for a simple way to send Google even more of my personal information. This is perfect!

Oh wait, Vector already said this. But it's true. Google has a reputation for, you know, tracking and storing basically every piece of information they can get their hands on. I'm not bringing my offline life anywhere near them.

*Not that I'm not paranoid of Facebook for the same reason, but Google is just better at information mining to begin with.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 04:38:29 pm »

Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)

Short story short: All the good people got kicked off the project, it was half-assed by a bunch of control freaks, and they have a whole bevy of "name" issues (of which my rant only touched on one aspect). They've also got piss-poor customer support, and if someone "reports" your account for anything it gets insta-suspended without even notifying you or really telling you why and with very little in the way of things you can do about it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:07 pm »

... Yeah, I wouldn't be able to get an account anyway, then.  My name is not sufficiently normal.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 04:48:36 pm »

Might be worth a try just to see if you get booted. Sometimes its REALLY odd what the algorithm will/won't accept.

My only issue is that they've repeatedly lied about what will/won't pass, AND what will/won't be made an exception for after talking with them, AND over what name you should use, AND what is good enough to prove your name is real.

It's the lying that really gets my goat.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »

Erik Eric Schmidt recently held a talk somewhere (think it was in the UK) where he explained a bit about how they think about identities and Google+. Let's just say that both Google and Facebook have really fucked up ideas about personal privacy and data protection (both generally seem to feel they're unnecessary - to them anyway). Google+ as a business strategy is in fact built around it becoming an "identity service" or some such.

edit: Here's a transcript of what he said (ironically the transcript is on Google+)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:04:24 pm by olemars »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 05:02:27 pm »

Google+ and facebook are a problem in the fact that they are supposed to be medium of communication between peoples while completely public as he same time. You have zero privacy on them and should use them as public places .
Therefore you should absolutely avoid using them for chitchat with your family and friend , which is their purpose.
Instead use it as a rather impersonal social vitrine.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05:44 am »

Google+ and facebook are a problem in the fact that they are supposed to be medium of communication between peoples while completely public as he same time. You have zero privacy on them and should use them as public places .

This isn't remotely true. I don't know about anyone else, but on Facebook I restrict my updates to people on my friends list.

Not that Facebook or Google have the best track records with regard to privacy, but they aren't wholly public spaces either. And the chat/messaging features are even less public than that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 12:30:42 am »

Im forced to use facebool because of school. :(
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 02:19:50 am »

Im forced to use facebool because of school. :(
Funny you mention that, because MY school is using Google Apps :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4