Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knifemurders, the ongoing tale of a fortress bound to the life of one dwarf  (Read 1845 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

This is the ongoing progress of a fort with an interesting feature (read: surprising bug);  Any time a specific dwarf dies, he somehow crashes Dwarf Fortress.  If you don't believe me, take a crack at killing Udib Inkypants, The Trussed Chaos of Machines for yourself.  (he's the miltia commander and leader of The Copper Relics, so he's not hard to find)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4671

I'm not much of a storyteller, but i can at least give some events (and savegames as i'm not great with screenshotting) for you guys to elaborate on for Fun.

Knifemurders started as a simple fort like any other - seven dwaves wanting a bright future, a few supplies and a mountain.  Starting, surprisingly, halfway up the mountain, they dug in and began their new home.  Over twelve years, it slowly grew and they dug deep like any other dwarves for the magma.  As they dug, they came across the normal caverns and became disgruntled with the second.  It had no life in it, save terrifying creatures. Crundles, Blind Cave Trolls and even Reachers.  Deciding to do something, they sealed the cavern over a period of several years, masons working endlessly to complete the task.  Eventually it was complete, as was an elaborate reservoir and channeling system.  The original plan was to simply flood the cavern with water, but the reservoir had proven useful in powering the magma pumps and filling wells for the deep-down settlement.  So a new plan was formed and agreed upon by all;  The completed section of the pump stack passed the cavern, so why not control floodgates to release magma into the wretched chamber?  All agreed to this idea.   Now, what of this dwarf tied to the place?  He simply took up the first artifact of Knifemurders, a bone spear called The Strategic Corridor, and has since (well, as far as i've seen) cause the world to perish whenever he has.  Over the twelve years of Knifemurders, he's trained and slaughtered all who stood in his way, never knowing the times other versions of himself had fallen in worse parallel worlds, to become the fortress' mightiest soldier. 

As the save starts, the cavern is half-full of magma and the fortress prospers by continuing to strike the earth.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile

Actually, judging from the initial bug thread it looks like something unique to your computer.

I may download your fort later though, I hate digging out stockpiles and the like.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a few rounds of magma testing, I'm inclined to agree.  Copied to another drive and offed Udib and it didn't crash.  Just trying once more in the original version to see if it happens.  I suspect Udib's on to us... He has excellent spatial awareness...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not much has happened so far.  One of my metalsmiths has claimed a magma forge and seems to be off gathering things, so it looks like the The Copper Relics won't have to stand outside his door waiting to give him some psychiatric treatment. He went insane.  The Blockaded Lungs got to use him for practice.  They cut off his nose, as well as his left arm and right leg, to spite him and try to calm him down.  Damn these 3rd-century psychiatric techniques!

There's a very high population of dogs and puppies in the fort as well.  They've all been crammed into a single cage and the kennels have been ordered to start mass-training war dogs, so that should make the next elf raid fun.  Aside from that, Udib's still training rookies and the miners are slowly carving out a new reservoir on the surface level inside the mountain.  It's not going to store water though....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:09:29 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I fully endorse this thread and reporting on a dwarf who is apparently utterly badass enough that he resets the world whenever things don't go his way.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just wanted to share this before i go off to play other things - I made an attempt with a screw pump to unflood an area of the bottom floor that kinda got filled with magma from the cavern 2 flooding.  Ironically, pumping it back into the magma sea made it rise up around the base of the pump stack, flooding around one of the reactors and the hospital.  Thankfully, it only seems to be about 3/7 and dropping into an unused tunnel a bit, so should be okay.  Gonna have to replace the gear mechanism to the bottom pump though - they melted.  And Udib's safe.  His barracks were near it, so i had him move up to the main fort level.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4679

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's this? Pictures? Gasp in amazement.  Just a few things this time

First off;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next, because people love the guy, Udib's bio and kill list.  Spoilered, as they're quite big images

His Bio

His Kills

Next, a zoomed-out shot of the cavern that's being filled with magma for my amusement to give you an idea how big it is

And finally, as I've tired of having to pay for trade goods, the upcoming trade depot location that mysteriously has a runoff outlet from the Knifemurders Reservoir. And will have a drain to keep goods from flowing out in the event of an "Unfortunate Accident".

Feel free to elaborate, storywriters.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:42:19 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something to add as stuff actually happened

Tired of playing nice, and wanting an enemy that doesn't come in on eagle-back, I've set up a new trade depot underground

The water's from an accidental test.  (Un)fortunately, they were right outside the entrance when i decided to test it when the reservoir was opened. 

The three reactors powering the stack are barely meeting requirements now, so i have a new big one being built atop the framework of a previous design that didn't work out.  The TD "test" was supposed to fuel it for a test-run.  Alas, some foolish dwarf didn't understand that when their overlord says "pull the lever", i mean "Right now, as there's 23-odd slackers idling about", not "whenever you Armok-damn please". 

Two FB's have turned up, one was a giant turkey made of salt
Udib got to it before i could check the combat log.  I only saw the end where he hacked it in two.

A second's still roaming about in Cavern 3

I told The Copper Relics to go cut it's head off, but they decided to go idle about up in the mountain-level fort, for some reason.  I think i need to redo some of the pathing.

Finally, an artifact was produced
....The most useless artifact in this world, or any other.  Not only did the withdrawn smith produce a lightweight hammer, he adorned it with an elven victory.  I think i'd better send Udib to have a word with him about loyalties at some point.

So, the big question;  Do i flood out the Human Caravan and take their goods for myself?  It's only a switch-throw between yes and no...

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

COUGHyesCOUGH. who knows.  :-X
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

COUGHyesCOUGH. who knows.  :-X

Spoiler for another time - I traded water for everything they had.  They seemed okay with that.  Also, Udib had to put down one of his own.  Axedwarf went beserk.  Udib wasn't merciful.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Knifemurders has gotten interesting lately.

An axedwarf of The Copper Relics lost his mind and went beserk out of nowhere.  Udib got to him first and showed no mercy (he managed to take a child apart before Udib reached him)

Nothing's come to attack Knifemurders in the last few years, save the odd FB, so i've decided to make my own fun.  With a new Trade Depot

And for everyone's favourite, Knifemurders now has a good ol' Magma weapon.  That dispenses hot or cold Fun.  Takes time to set up either between uses though.

The Copper Relics also finally has another titled member.  Kikrost Peacefloors is now known as the Joys of Curiosity.  I'm going to make sure he's kept well away from the local cats...

And finally, the savegame.  So you can make your own Fun.  For a challenge, i dare anyone to kill the fort population in the most inventive way possible.  Between the pumpstacks, reservoir channels and magma, you should have all you need.

Update - it'd help if i actually included the savegame: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4691
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:37:45 am by ThatAussieGuy »