Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what do goblin ambushers go for?  (Read 965 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what do goblin ambushers go for?
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:08 am »

The answer isn't in the wiki under invaders, ambushes, sieges or goblins.  What do goblins path towards when trying to attack your fortress?  Do they go to meeting areas, or to workshops, or to dwarves?  What should i build as bait to trick the goblins into going down dead end trap filled hallways?

PS: YAY i've finally built a working elf melter!  It's a trade depot surrounded by grates above a magma reservoir.  Pumps bring the magma up above the depot to a chamber floored with hatches, which quickly get covered with magma.  When the elves come to 'trade', i close both drawbridges stranding them on the depot island and then pour magma on em! mwahahahah.  you think they'd learn.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: what do goblin ambushers go for?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:35 am »

I think it's meeting areas, but if they see a friendly animal they try and kill that first.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:28:00 am »

Currentlu enemy AI is see dwarf : kill it, even if there is a hall of green buzzsaws infront of said dwarf.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:40:18 am »

i'm getting conflicting answers here.  It can not be the case that they go for dwarves they see, because my dwarves never go outside, yet the goblins head down the entry way and into the fortress.  Either they detect the dwarves deep below and path to them, or they are pathing to some other location in my fortress.  So the question stands.  What are they pathing to when not directly attacking anything?

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:52:55 am »

What are they pathing to when not directly attacking anything?

The nearest thing to attack.  The cat that wandered outside to hunt lizards, your fisherdwarf who wandered outside to fish, the cheese maker who wandered outside to pick up the fisherdwarf's socks. And so forth.

Most people take advantage of the fact that their fortress has a choke point at the entrance (and few if any dwarves outside) and place some fun toys for the goblins there.

What should i build as bait to trick the goblins into going down dead end trap filled hallways?

A chain/rope with a worthless animal tied to it at the end of the dead end hallway.  Put it around a bend so that ranged attackers cannot just use said worthless animal for target practice.
Note: NOT CATS, cats can become 'adopted' from across the map and through the entire siege, and the new owner of the animal will go free them from their bonds.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:01:58 pm »

I think that they just path to the nearest dwarf and kill it (they don't need to actually *see* them), just like any other enemy, but it'd be interesting to know that they path to meeting areas.

I usually make two paths into my fortress: the "royal" path, which is three tiles wide (for caravans) and easy to close with a bridge by pulling a lever, and the "hard" path which is a winding trail full of nasty traps. This way, the goblins will path into my fortress and get killed by the myriad of traps (or I just catch them in cage traps for my marksdwarves to shoot at).