Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brainstorming: Too Many "Farmer" Skills  (Read 1612 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Brainstorming: Too Many "Farmer" Skills
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:45:25 am »

Right now it seems just about any skill involving plant processing is a "farmer" trade. I think it is worth some brainstorming to see if we can't shift a few skills into other categories.

Here's a few I've thought of;

Wood Burning: Currently a farming job, although the refining of logs into charcoal has nothing to do with food. I would place it under the Woodworker set (yellow), which follows since historically charcoal-makers cut their own trees in the wilderness, made charcoal in a huge dirt-covered mound, and carted the much lighter finished product back to civilization.

Potash Maker: Makes fertilizer, but also glass additives. One thing is certain though, nothing he makes is edible. I'd put him in woodworking like the charcoal maker, but craftsdwarf is also possible.

Soap Maker: Makes very inedible soap. Could possibly become a craftsdwarf or a woodworker.

Dyer: A craftsdwarf's job if I ever saw one. Directly related to cloth-making with quality modifier on his finished product, this job is much closer to clothier than the similar plant-processing brewer.

Butcher: Something of an odd suggestion, but has anyone considered that if the fisherdwarf and fish cleaner are both blue, why shouldn't the hunter and butcher both be green? For that matter, shearers and spinners might also fit under the same dark green animal caretaker field. Up for debate: milkers.

Anyone else want to contribute to the brainstorming?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming: Too Many "Farmer" Skills
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:27:22 am »

Doesn't seem like a big improvement to me, but your suggestions sound sensible. Soap Maker as woodworker would seem odd though. In dwarf therapist I group that with the medical skills but craftsdwarf seems sensible.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:04:14 am »

Good sugestions.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:34 am »

"Farming" only means "food" to you? I don't get it...

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 10:42:37 am »

Makes perfect sense to me.
After all, wouldn't wood burning be more related to, say, Weapon Smiths then Farmers?
Or Wood Workers, that sounds better.
What could burning a log have to do with growing Plump Helmets?
I support this idea.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:11:47 am »

What could burning a log have to do with growing Plump Helmets?

Ash -> Potash -> Fertilizer

I do support this idea, but perhaps instead of spreading the jobs out we could split up Food related farming jobs and non-food related farming jobs into two separate groups.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:42:43 am »

I do support this idea, but perhaps instead of spreading the jobs out we could split up Food related farming jobs and non-food related farming jobs into two separate groups.

That is a possibility but I would not call any of the skills in Nokov's original post farming.

It doesn't seem right to call a professional collier a farmer for example as charcoal making is an industrial process. I don't think it is a high skill profession, but making ash doesn't really require any skill or special knowledge. In the long run I think ash ought to be a by-product of processes using wood for fuel in kitchens and other workshops. It doesn't require anything remotely resembling a charcoal clamp.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:22:36 pm »

"Farming" only means "food" to you? I don't get it...

No, it also means agriculture to grow the raw materials for biodiesel, ethanol, plastics, industrial lubricants, solvents, rubber, pharamacuticals and erosion control straw. However I do not consider chemical engineers manufacturing industrial alcohol out of molasses "farmers" any more than I would consider a machinist producing automotive parts a "miner".
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

I like the idea to move wood burning/potash making in with woodcutting, actually. :)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »

Maybe combine some of the labors? Wood burning could fit well into furnace operating, Tanning could just fit right into leather working, Milking into cheese making, etc.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 03:13:36 pm »

I wok at a farm. Never in my life have I had to spin shit into yarn. EVER!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 10:39:47 pm »

I wok at a farm. Never in my life have I had to spin shit into yarn. EVER!

Pre-1400 you would.

I support the condensing of labors. I posted this a few months back on my entire thoughts if anyone wants to check it out.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 02:09:29 am »

Even if a farmer would make their own cheese and spin their own cloth it does not mean that those use the same skills. It may be that some tasks should be performed without a skill, like hauling is now, but lumping completely different processes under the same skill seems like it would only detract from the game. If a farmer also span yarn this is just because of labour shortage, it does not mean that spinning yarn is farming. Sowing seeds and harvesting crops would not in any way give you a head start in learning how to make yarn, soap or charcoal.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:11:07 am »

ALthough there is one job I do do a LOT! Digging graves for all the dead goats that die once in a while. Yup.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 03:01:41 am »

Here are two variants of job regrouping.

First, based on production sequences, I tried to band all related jobs together. Each group has some jobs without a related quality modifier, and most groups have some jobs with related quality modifiers (some of them moodable). This results in 9 job groups total (compared to current 13).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second variant, instead of grouping related jobs, I banded all moodable jobs together into one big group (split into three subgroups for easier reference), and proceeded from there. Major advantage is that all moodable skills are placed together. The resulting set includes 11 job groups:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.