Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which race should I get to playable first?

Humans
Dwarves
Gnomes
Orcs
Night Elves

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warcraft Mod, Who would you like to play as first?  (Read 4058 times)

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in a Warcraft mod?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 08:36:27 am »

I agree with Darkmere. I would also ignore Draenei myself.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in a Warcraft mod?
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 08:56:41 am »

I started reading after that comment and I have to agree. Dungeon dweller Draenei it is.

So which race do I concentrate on first? I eventually hope to have most playable I.e. no controlling the scourge or the burning legion.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft Mod, Who would you like to play as first?
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »

Draenei shouldn't even be there at all. Warcraft 1 and 2 both described (in the lore described in the manual) how the Draenei were slaughtered to a man, without much difficulty by the Horde. And then, suddenly, they are a super-advanced race, that managed to fight their way from Draenei, causing heavy losses? Bollocks. It pissed me off to no end when I heard about their inclusion and the "lore-retcon" that was the expansion "Burning Crusade". I feel that it is at that point that WoW came of the "lore-wheels". It caused quite an uproar by "lore-purists". Chris Metzen (Head Writing Department) even issued a statement, saying he messed up with the Draenei. So, if you are going by "pre-WoW" as a basis, drop the Draenei. At least, I would do so. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »

Draenei shouldn't even be there at all. Warcraft 1 and 2 both described (in the lore described in the manual) how the Draenei were slaughtered to a man, without much difficulty by the Horde. And then, suddenly, they are a super-advanced race, that managed to fight their way from Draenei, causing heavy losses? Bollocks. It pissed me off to no end when I heard about their inclusion and the "lore-retcon" that was the expansion "Burning Crusade". I feel that it is at that point that WoW came of the "lore-wheels". It caused quite an uproar by "lore-purists". Chris Metzen (Head Writing Department) even issued a statement, saying he messed up with the Draenei. So, if you are going by "pre-WoW" as a basis, drop the Draenei. At least, I would do so. :)

The apology was in regards to the fact that the Warcraft 3 manual states that Sargeras was corrupted by his personal war with the burning legion, and specifically by the eradar, while BC's background for the Draenei says that they left their homeworld when Sargeras came to their homeworld to turn the eradar into demons.

Broken Draenei were included in Warcraft 3's expansion, and were, I think, shown to be quite stealthy after having to hide from orcs all the time.  I didn't play it much myself though, so I'm not sure.  My brother beat all the campaigns, and I remember seeing that.  Personally though, I'd only include the broken draenei, and I wouldn't make them playable.  But that's because I'm not entirely sure how some draenei remained unbroken, and also because they arrive in a space ship when everybody else from Draenor has to go through a portal.

If you do this, be sure to include as many ores and plants as you can.  You may have to come up with some special underground crops(all I can think of right now are ghost mushrooms and the lichen from BC), but there's a lot of fun surface plants that you can give to different biomes.  Like Grom's Blood requiring a savage evil biome.

I wouldn't worry too much about playable races, but probably orcs and humans should be the starting point(also, Scourge were playable in WC3, though that would be more fun if you end up being able to do necromancy in fortress mode).  What I think you should work on more is populating the world with the creatures of WoW, and deciding if you want an amalgamation of everything on one continent or if you want to force the game to focus on the eastern kingdoms.  I'd personally say that everything should be in, and the game will be a random Azeroth generator.  Though I guess that means that quilboars and gnolls could end up sharing territory, since the both kind of live in open fields.

Maybe I'm underestimating how much you have to do in making a race playable though.  While it really only requires making the proper noble positions and possibly ethics in this case, you probably want to include all the proper clothes and equipment as well, and that takes time.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 12:58:09 pm »

The apology was in regards to the fact that the Warcraft 3 manual states that Sargeras was corrupted by his personal war with the burning legion, and specifically by the eradar, while BC's background for the Draenei says that they left their homeworld when Sargeras came to their homeworld to turn the eradar into demons.

Broken Draenei were included in Warcraft 3's expansion, and were, I think, shown to be quite stealthy after having to hide from orcs all the time.  I didn't play it much myself though, so I'm not sure.  My brother beat all the campaigns, and I remember seeing that.  Personally though, I'd only include the broken draenei, and I wouldn't make them playable.  But that's because I'm not entirely sure how some draenei remained unbroken, and also because they arrive in a space ship when everybody else from Draenor has to go through a portal.

I thought it was about the Draenei outrage. But then again, my memory is not what it used to be and I might be misremembering for my benefit. ;) In any case, I do remember the outrage about the Draenei. At least, I was outraged. Broken Draenei, that I could understand (some small colony surviving by stealth, sure), but not the "We are from Space" Draenei.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 01:05:09 pm »

I thought it was about the Draenei outrage. But then again, my memory is not what it used to be and I might be misremembering for my benefit. ;) In any case, I do remember the outrage about the Draenei. At least, I was outraged. Broken Draenei, that I could understand (some small colony surviving by stealth, sure), but not the "We are from Space" Draenei.

I'm almost completely certain that the apology was because the lore included an outright contradiction(I'm pretty sure that he also said the new story overrides the old one) and not because it was particularly dumb.  That was kind of a lowpoint for the story though.  I remember one of the major comments whenever lore was brought up was simply "lolsand" because they came up with this idea that the sand in silithus was magical and needed to be collected as a way to try to explain their world pvp idea in lore.

Oh yes, and silithids should be included, possibly qiraji too.  Definitely nerubians.  Playable, pre-scourge Nerubians would be cool.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:22 pm »

I say start with the Dwarves or humans.
However you might also consider Orcs just for the fun of being Orcs.  :P

And I agree, the Dranei dosn't fit in with the original Warcraft Lore.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

By dungeon dwelling Draenei I meant non-playable Broken Draenei. Anyway, the challenge of finishing off an entity is mostly the creature for me as I love making castes fun and different.
Scourge will be playable now but I'll start on them once we have necromancy (or cannibalism:p).

Worgen removed as civ, that'll make a good curse.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:40:03 pm by NobodyPro »

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »

By dungeon dwelling Draenei I meant non-playable Broken Draenei. Anyway, the challenge of finishing off an entity is mostly the creature for me as I love making castes fun and different.
Scourge will be playable now but I'll start on them once we have necromancy (or cannibalism:p).

Worgen removed as civ, that'll make a good curse.

Oh yes.  Castes.  I'm all for orcs and humans being first, because of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans.  Seems like a good place to start to me lol.  It's too bad they probably won't look unique, but there's more to unique castes than appearance.  It's also too bad that the tags to make entity positions require certain castes don't work.  A high priest position requiring a priest or paladin caste would be cool. 

Maybe dwarves or gnomes should be one of the first playable races too, so you have an excuse to have lower mining skill on humans.

Will you be doing special equipment?  I'd recommend making stuff based on the starter gear as base equipment for the races, but you'd have to actually have WoW to see that I think.  I'm not sure any sites actually care what the exact name of a paladin's starter boots are.  And I would definitely recommend doing the unique artifact thing, with legendary and certain epic weapons from WoW.  Also clothes.  A moody weaver should be able to make The Robe of Elune or something.

Oh, just so you know, I'm actually interested in this however you decide to go.  I may be trying to influence your decisions, but just seeing Warcraft stuff in DF will be cool.  I used to play WC2 with my brother over lan so much when I was like 10.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 03:35:16 am »

It might gave already been said (I haven't read anything, it's way too early for that) but if you create a class bases caste system please use the W3 (or 2 and 1) unit types and not the generic WoW please ^^

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 03:37:04 am »

It might gave already been said (I haven't read anything, it's way too early for that) but if you create a class bases caste system please use the W3 (or 2 and 1) unit types and not the generic WoW please ^^

I agree with Dutchling, I kinda miss the old unit names.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 05:01:41 am »

I agree with Dutchling, I kinda miss the old unit names.

Sounds like a plan.

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 09:17:02 am »

This will be excellent, I reckon you should start with dwarves first, then move onto orcs and then the rest.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:59 am »

Well, I vote for orcs first. Orrrrcs! Can't go wrong with orcs! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2]