Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which race should I get to playable first?

Humans
Dwarves
Gnomes
Orcs
Night Elves

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warcraft Mod, Who would you like to play as first?  (Read 4062 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warcraft Mod, Who would you like to play as first?
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:26:26 am »

I generally liked Warcraft 3 and it was probably the game that got me interested in backstory. I want to make a mod based on this because compared to the many other ideas I have for mods, this one is the most likely to work.
I then went to the WOW wiki (having never played it) to see what I could add and BLOODY HELL. There's enough info there to keep this going for a very long time. After having a good look-see I noticed that some aspects of the game seem designed to correlate into the Dwarf Fortress system such as a list of fish with only a tiny image to show it's appearance, the list of ores helpfully provided with smelting instructions and a list of gems to dig up with them.

So, first things first. Would you play this and what civilizations could there be? Feel free to change/expand critique existing ideas.

Civilization ideas so far:
Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans, Night Elves, Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, Forsaken, Blood Elves, Scourge, Burning Legion, Goblins ('neutral').

Ideas:
Bug-free clothing- clothing as BP.
Classes- WOW classes and W3 unit types worked into racial caste system to make gameplay varied and legends mode sound awesome.
Engineering- whoah! perhaps multiple buildings.
Careful use of biomes, good and evil to ensure that the right pets/mounts/war animals go to the right civs.
Mercenary Castes- rare, factionally appropriate mercenary castes that should add some rare flavour.
Worgen Curse- no race.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:38:22 pm by NobodyPro »

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in a Warcraft mod?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:55:24 am »

would be cool idea. As a former WoW player and huge warcraft lore fan, i approve this idea.
Blizzard has done good job with lore and its quite varied and should fit well for Dwarf Fortress imo.
but... High Elves, Night Elves and Blood Elves? Iirc, high elves didnt really exist at the times of WC3 or after it but i might be wrong.

"The high elves were once a significant force on the continent, but in recent times their numbers have been dramatically reduced, 90% of their race was slaughtered in the Third War. Following this, another 90% of the survivors changed their name to "blood elves" in remembrance of their fallen brethren"

directly from wowwiki.

also: imo, night elves should be in Alliance and Worgen as wild beasts because... thats what they are. unless ofcourse your mod's timeline is post-cataclysm and then you would need to add Gobbos part of the Horde aswell. Treants should propably be wild creatures aswell but slow moving and not hostile
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:01:30 am by Doro »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:44:13 pm »

Applying a specific timeframe would feel like defeat but... were the spellbreakers and dragonhawk riders Blood Elves? It's been a while. Treants and Worgen would be wild beasts aswell as Civ members.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:45:41 pm »

Sure why not, as long as there is an optional graphic/tileset pack for it.  :)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:12:11 pm »

Sure why not, as long as there is an optional graphic/tileset pack for it.  :)
Of course.

To continue, The Night Elves make more sense as a second race because from what I saw at the end of Warcraft 3, Orcs etc. should be in the alliance too. Darnassus is so far away from everyone else on the alliance. If you can think of another race I'll consider merging the Alliance and the Sentinels.

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:00:48 am »

Being a big WC fan, and a ex-WoW player and lore reader of Warcraft, I think that using a single timeline would be a waste of time. And you shouldn't do castes, you should just have separate races. Throughout the timeline almost all of the races have probably fought each other, or at least not gotten along.
But if you were to do castes then Horde should just be Orcs, Trolls and Tauren. Alliance should be Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes and High Elves. Sentinels should be Night Elves, Treants and Dryads. And then Goblins should be neutral, ignoring the silly WoW story. Worgen should be wild, unless you want to take into account the turned humans or the NE druids who went too far, then they could have a sphere similar to either of them. Draenei are silly. Should include the Burning Legion, that would be fun. And Blood Elves should be alone and should hate Undead things and Night Elves. And finally Forsaken should be solo and hate the world.
That is just my thoughts on the matter anyway.
There are a few more sentient races such as Centaurs, Ogres (Which could be tied to the horde), Harpys, Earthen, the different dragons (Blue, Red, Bronze, Green and Black), Silithid, Necrubians and a few more.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »

Same as the other two, Ex-WoW player and huge fan of the lore, I would like this
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:01:04 pm »

Not a fan of WoW but I play Warcraft 3 all the time so a DF mod would be cool
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:09:22 am »

Aight, that actually makes things much simpler and easy to do. Exams coming up but I might get a bare-bones version up soon.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:49:30 am »

"Draenei"

And do not make fixed "alliance"/"horde". The awesome thing about DF is how it allows different scenarios :P. Why not to have and occasional NE and Orc alliance to fend off demons? Or just for fun. Just spread ethics around races in a proper way, and enforce some "hostile" civs and it will work great.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 06:58:44 am »

I agree with Deon, it would make for a much more interesting mod if the different races make decisions for themselves rather than be forced to work together. I really look forward to this, it is just a shame I don't know how to mod myself.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:01 am »

It would be good... to a point.

Trying to make it too much like World of Warcraft is not a good idea. Best thing you can do, OP, is just try to emulate (but to a more Dwarf extent) a lot of the War3 maps that allow you to customize your heroes/towns.

The only downside to this is that while there is a lot of lore... it gets screwed around with far too much and it can be difficult to bring into Dwarf Fortress.
How exactly do you create Death Knights? Do you use the first/second/third generation of them?

All in all, if you go for a more of a "race" orienated mod instead of the WoW based one, you might get a good job.

That being said: If you do manage to do it, can we please have some sort of temple created for the sole purpose of testing various ways to magically recreate the entire body of someone... something like a "Do-It-Yourself Gul'Dan torture game".

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:20 am »

The first is balanced by the fact that I haven't played WOW and I scrounged the latest info from the wiki and friends. In terms of where I'm getting my inspiration from, it goes: Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, Warcraft RPG, Cataclysm. Dwarf shamans my ass.

So each race has it's own own race now thanks to everyone's helpful feedback. Each race has it's own castes which were originally just the WOW classes but I've now added a few more and stripped a few out, mostly cataclysm loreicide balance changes like aforementioned dwarf shamans. Races will have their own 'Hero' classes that are rare and are significantly stronger/different than the other castes. I'm still toting with the idea of Merc castes to simulate the inns of yore, maybe I should save that for later.

Not sure what you meant by that last bit dmurray.

Still not sure about Draenei though, they crashed an interdimensional space ship into this world? Then were did all the dungeon dwelling Draenei come from? Were they summoned there by the World's Biggest Panda?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:56:05 am »

Why not just work on a Warhammer mod? Now that would be damn exciting, and Warcraft's lore is mostly ripped from there, anyway. :D I've always loved Warhammer's world and lore... I would play a decent Warhammer mod to bits! *drools*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:25:30 pm »

Do yourself a favor and skip all the WoW lore. It's needless premise changing to shoehorn in junk with every expansion. Go read about the Naaru if you don't believe me.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: [1] 2