Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: my first fortress, place of screenshots and noob questions.  (Read 2236 times)

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my first fortress, place of screenshots and noob questions.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 12:26:13 pm »

Very nice, but I cant see any mines, did you get all the iron you needed just form your building tunnels?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:34 pm »

Keep in mind though that if they are within 20 tiles (IIRC) of workshops they will be "bothered by noise" when they sleep, which will give them a negative thought. 

wiki disagrees with you, but the wiki has been wrong before.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 05:54:47 pm »

Very nice, but I cant see any mines, did you get all the iron you needed just form your building tunnels?

Early on it was chefs making prepared meals and lots of stone crafts and trading.  Then I got lots of wood to make lots of cage traps and got oodles of goblinite to recycle and trade.  I found a ton of copper early on to make halfway decent stuff for my military (and a gajillion bolts) until I had enough traded and recycled metals to make them steel armor.  I still have only 15 standing dwarves in full metal armor.  The other 20 are crossbowdwarves in leather.

The entry level has a bunch of cage and some weapon traps between two drawbridges.  Along the west side is a set of fortifications behind raised bridges with a "shooting gallery" burrow.  (Which is also ammo storage.)  If there is a siege or ambush, I pull all my dwarves inside, send my marksdwarves to the shooting gallery, wait for the majority of the gobbos to get between the two bridges then raise them both to catch as many as possible in the killbox.  Then I drop the barriers in front of my fortifications and let the marksdwarves have a ball.  The cages trap a bunch and the weapon traps slice a bunch up and when enough have been killed or captured, the rest start to freak out.  After enough have been wounded I drop the inner bridge and send out the infantry to clean up.

It's been incredibly successful at both collecting goblinite and training my military.  Enough get trapped that I can strip their weapons and use them as training fodder for the infantry, and shooting at a bunch of panicked gobbos is great training for the marksdwarves.  Then during a siege, once enough have been shot full of bolts, the infantry can go out and get even more training without too much risk.  So by now a lot of my military are legendary, almost entirely from just beating up on caged and wounded gobbos...

(Although I admit, other than trolls, I haven't encountered many building destroyers.)

I have more goblinite than I can actually use by now.  I can buy out whole caravans of metal, booze and food with just goblinite and some luxurious meals.

Keep in mind though that if they are within 20 tiles (IIRC) of workshops they will be "bothered by noise" when they sleep, which will give them a negative thought. 

wiki disagrees with you, but the wiki has been wrong before.

Ahh, the wiki seems to say that this has changed since earlier versions when it did make a difference.

I still like the "dwarven apartment block" look of the thing.   :)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »

Hmm, besides what others have pointed out I have just one thing to say: you may want to clean up some of that rubble you've generated. It's not stone stockpiles you want - you want mass-dump designation (d-b-d) and a garbage zone where dwarves will move stuff that you designated to dump. You can unforbid the items (mass designate: d-b-c) later if you want to use that stone but right now it'd look good (and make spare room for stockpiles) to tidy up the loose rubble. If you have spare manpower that is.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 06:34:24 pm »

As long as you put a door on the workshop, you don't have to worry about it, but I always put doors on everything.
Pages: 1 [2]