Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it just me or too many dwarfcivs spawn w/o anvils avaiable?  (Read 883 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

More than half of the time I try to start a game and find that I can't get anvils from start screen.

Mind you, since I favor Xbows and traps this only means I have to stockpile picks in order to avoid running out of them when FUN happens, but still, it's annoying.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or too many dwarfcivs spawn w/o anvils avaiable?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:12:24 pm »

This is because minerals are scarce without tweaking worldgen, and a civ without iron has no iron anvils.  They still have steel anvils, so you can grab those.  I'm a weakling, so I always set scarcity to 100 (lots of minerals) and end up with more magnetite than microcline half the time :P

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:14:47 pm »

I didn't know that no available anvil was a problem. I usually can't get iron anvils, but I've always had steel ones available.

Anyway, the inability to forge can just make the first year or two waiting for the caravan that much more fun. No weapons: build some walls; peasant wrestling club; harness troll power from the caverns; there's plenty of Fun to be had. I often don't forge at all.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »

I also play with scarcity 100. I also removed *INCREDIBLY FEY AND AWFULLY COLORED MICROCLINE* and cinnabar from the raws, so I don't confuse it with hematite.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:06 pm »

I like microcline, but then again bright blue is one of my favorite colors ^^  (It totally matches my eyes, and that's ok because I'm a femme-dwarf)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:57 pm »

But hematite's maroon, cinnabar's bright red, and microcline's [color=cyan].
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »

But hematite's maroon, cinnabar's bright red, and microcline's [color=cyan].

Well, in the Mayday tileset, hematite and cinnabar are INCREDIBLY close to each other in appearance...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

Alternatively, add [ITEMS_ANVIL] to bronze in the raws. This had the side-effect of making anvils very cheap to acquire in earlier versions, which may or may not still apply.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 05:45:51 pm »

I like microcline, but then again bright blue is one of my favorite colors ^^  (It totally matches my eyes, and that's ok because I'm a femme-dwarf)

I love microcline. It's especially pretty in real life.  I play with dig dwarfier, so I have microcline with amazonite deposits in it.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.