Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ideas Against Globins?  (Read 1861 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas Against Globins?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:23 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm checking out and thinking on my defences, but I still don't know if I will abandon this fortress and take this knowledge somewhere better (with magma too) hahah
I was at college today wondering and thought about making abusive use of weapon traps. I also will just finish my weapon components (I made lots of types with silver, enough for 3 weapon traps that will be placed on a 3-wide corridor), but I think it's too late for this.

Also I will use more cage traps because it was awesome throwing 6 captured gobbos inside the arena and looking at so much gore and limbs flying around..

And..
Track down the gobbo leader at his desert outpost, then send a squad of your best trained marksdwarfs to take him out.  Designate the sea as the appropriate dumping point for his corpse.  Instant satisfaction.
..can this be done in Fortress mode? :o

Btw: Globins win. It's not a typo, it's a secret monster type :P
You can find it in the raws...there in 30 minutes
[ http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nyc-cardstand-ill-be-there-in-30-minutes ]
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 10:50:15 pm »

Track down the gobbo leader at his desert outpost, then send a squad of your best trained marksdwarfs to take him out.  Designate the sea as the appropriate dumping point for his corpse.  Instant satisfaction.

xD

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 03:46:33 am »

Pathfinding is very predictable so it's fairly easy to make invaders commit suicide.

The 'goblin grinder' under the 'trap design' entry in the wiki is easy, safe and powerful enough against regular sieges. Trapped corridor, pressure plate linked to a hatch at both ends. One small refinement: put the hatches a little further away from the pressure plates to the goblins will grind themselves rather than falling into the pits.

It's a very pedestrian trap though - useless against flyers, building destroyers and trap avoiders.
You can get trap avoiders by replacing triggers with repeaters (this also means upright spike traps instead of weapon traps).
You can get fliers by replacing pits with upward ramps covered by a hatch.

If you want something more powerful, your imagination is the limit. A good start is a repeater-driven containment system and many things to do with the holding area.
Spikes on every tile hooked up to a repater that you can turn on and off.
The ability to fill it with water or magma at will and drain it again.
Maybe some more exotic death traps (ice, smoke)
A shooting gallery of fortifications.
A corridor to your fortress lined with cage traps... allows you to retrieve loot, send in dwarven gladiators or capture interesting things.
If you captured something interesting already, a cage or cell that allows you to release the beastie. Amusing with dragons or Giant Cave Spiders.
A high-quality room for your 'honoured guests'.
A cesspit with forgotten beast contaminants for fates worse than death.
100000 other things to make any evil overlord cackle with glee.

Of course, you don't have to go for efficiency and controllability of a dedicated dungeon. Screaming goblins in decorative waterfalls or falling 20 z-levels down directly into one's main hall really set the tone. The more fun and elaborate things tend to take time though, a slightly optimised goblin grinder will buy you all the time you need.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 07:26:10 am »

:D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 08:02:09 am »

It took my fort ten years from the first Gobbo siege to track down their leader.  The civ screen indicated he was either already dead, or holed up in a cave somewhere.  My mayor stepped down and a new, even more unlikable one took his place.  He completely bungled our healthcare system, crashed our Dwarven economy, tanked our relationship with England the Elves, but by Armok - he got that gobbo bastard.  Urist McGeraldo covered the whole thing on Fox Cave Spider News.  It happened right around the time the Elvish prince had a huge marriage ceremony...  Does any of this register?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:24:36 am by Kestrel »
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 10:02:23 am »

Once you master the goblin menace in several forts, you will stop fearing them and find them easy to counter. Then comes megaprojects with invasions on.

Current fort : underground hallways connecting separated parts of the surface, with some odd understocked weapon traps, and watchdogs behind windows and a dry moat (or similar). Imagine an impassable mountain chain with a single tunnel going through, dug by dwarves of old, trapped at odd bends and littered with bones of goblins, trolls and wild beasts alike. And then a group of adventurers absolutely needs to take this path, there's some drums, a well... The usual.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:47 am »

The most effective and most boring defense you can build involves digging a deep pit. 10 Z levels deep is good. Have the pit be, say, 30x5. In the middle have a 30x1 tile constructed floor. Over this construct retracting bridges. Should only need 3 bridges to span the entire pit.

Link each of the 3 bridges to a lever. Do this again and again, so you have 3-4 levers that can each retract all bridges. This allows you to have a dwarves furiously pulling at the levers with no breaks in between pulling on them even if one of them needs to go boozing.

To reduce hauling make the bottom of the pit also be your refuse stockpile.

The only creatures that can get past this are megabeasts. Everything else will be slaughtered so easily your fort will be boring.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 02:57:11 pm »

If you want total near boring safety, a dodge/gravity trap will do you well--build two staircases 10-15 z levels tall--one inside fort walls, one outside, connect them with a one tile wide pathway, liberally filled with weapons traps loaded with any quality and type of weapon (featherwood training spears will do as well as adamantine axe blades).  When anything hostile passes through it will definitely dodge at least once, and if it dodges it will almost definitely dodge off the passage, falling 10-15 z levels and exploding in a cloud of gore. For the thieves apply cagetraps on the fort end of the walkway.

Hey, this is awesome, I don't even have to dig, and cage traps will take care of thieves. I still think, this design can be improved with siege engine platforms, tough.
Code: [Select]
  ->      __ggggg___g_____
  |       x              x
  |       x              x
  |       x             Wx

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:42:15 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 03:57:27 pm »

It took my fort ten years from the first Gobbo siege to track down their leader.  The civ screen indicated he was either already dead, or holed up in a cave somewhere.  My mayor stepped down and a new, even more unlikable one took his place.  He completely bungled our healthcare system, crashed our Dwarven economy, tanked our relationship with England the Elves, but by Armok - he got that gobbo bastard.  Urist McGeraldo covered the whole thing on Fox Cave Spider News.  It happened right around the time the Elvish prince had a huge marriage ceremony...  Does any of this register?

I don't believe any of this unless you show me his birth certificate.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »

I don't believe any of this unless you show me his birth certificate.
The sad thing is that I only now got this... :(
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »

Well if you really got the time to do this i would suggest it, I personally in every fortress make 666 upright menacing steel spikes, (this is what i usually do to train up my weaponsmith) than i make tons of weapon traps and put ten steel spikes in each trap. usually i have a draw bridge in the middle of the 3 x however long hallway you want, the number of steel spikes is just for fun ...he he he. and i make this room for when breaching hell, it has worked in the past against clowns, but usually one or ten will make it through and rain destruction upon my fortress. oh yeah and cage traps. i can't stress it enough how great cage traps are, unfortunately if you end up with gremlins in some caverns, they cant be caught by the traps, and they pull random levers!!! yeah good times   thanks for releasing the dragon gremlin
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:58 pm »

I personally in every fortress make 666 upright menacing steel spikes
Dwarf Fortress: A game for obsessive-compulsive satanists.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 [2]