Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas Against Globins?  (Read 1864 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Ideas Against Globins?
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »

Hello everyone how are you?

Backstory:
It has been a long time since I played DF on Fortress mode. I've been building a small-fortress idea I had (make a fortress on the beach, dig below for stockpiles/workshops/residences etc.
I guess it would work against many kinds of invaders, however, I'm not used to the current versions rules and new stuff, so I'm getting my a$$ kicked by Goblins, since I use many stairs/hatches and pressure plates, and they can both go through my doors and dance on pressure plates without it activating.

The only thing that was working was cage traps. I even made a pit beside the animal stockpile to throw them inside an arena so my weakling army can train combat and have some fun.

However, I had many shortcomings in this fortress, my miners got hurt and didn't have many masons..so it took 3 years and my defenses are not even half built.
Now, I get 2 ambushes everytime a caravan moves in, and currently there are 3 squads of goblins coming in, and my 5 archers suck, my 9-man squad is injured, and I've already lost 20 or more dwarves for their other ambushes.

I never had to deal with so many goblins at one time like this, and the project/location/method I designed and prepared simply cannot handle so many goblins. I wasn't expecting this, lol.

ITT, how do you handle your goblins? Is there a way to make pressure plates work with them?
Thanks!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas Against Globins?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:25:14 pm »

Use lots of traps. Cage traps, as you've seen, are great. Weapon traps are also good.

Pressure plate traps are, in my opinion, worthless. There's just nothing that good you can do with them. If something would be linked to a pressure plate, link it to a lever and have a dwarf operate it. That's just a better method.

You could train up a good military, but that takes a while and isn't really worth it if goblins are the only problem. Line a long entryway with traps; it's a simple and effective method.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:52 pm »

Globins? Doesn't sickle cell anemia do that?

OT: Front entrance sealed with drawbridge-pit airlock, walls surrounded by 3-wide dry moat, trap tunnel starting with steel serrated blade Dodge This, followed by single tile wide switchback tunnel filled with cage traps, followed by the same with lever-linked steel spikes. Then a small area full of columns where, if need be, my defense force can bottleneck the invaders. Then another drawbridge.

A drowning tunnel is in the works, likely using magma, as I'm sitting on a volcano and temperature is off.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:06 pm »

Well, globin in mind that globin types tend to globin their way through...

wait, that was a typo? not an M&L3 reference? never mind then.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Trap_design#Goblin_Grinder

That's basically the only military application for pressure plates.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:34 pm »

Hello everyone how are you?

However, I had many shortcomings in this fortress, my miners got hurt and didn't have many masons..so it took 3 years and my defenses are not even half built.

There's your problem. Switch on Masonry for every dwarf that doesn't have more important jobs like mining to do and things will get built much faster. Don't worry that they aren't skilled, building walls and floors doesn't train Masonry anyways. If you're worried about subpar work being done at your mason's workshops, hit P then * to set the minimum skill requirements to above dabbling level.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 05:48:50 pm »

And always remember, digging and engineering are a dwarves greatest defense. Pressure plates, besides the goblin grinder, are great linked to a support, for a cave in trap, and a early warning system for intruders. Wiki has a great use for them for shutting gates, and them staying shut, until you are ready for them to lower.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »

Lots of crossbows. Enough to blot out the sun! Make them fight in the shade!

Briefly.

:D

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:15:02 pm »

Well, globin in mind that globin types tend to globin their way through...

wait, that was a typo? not an M&L3 reference? never mind then.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Trap_design#Goblin_Grinder

That's basically the only military application for pressure plates.

That's not the only use, just the most direct and simple. I've had pressure plates in large, overdone traps do most of the work.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »

Pressure plates are amazing for large operations.  Step here, open a door there.  Step there, magma falls here.  Walk yonder, free beer appears!  Keeps dwarves and goblins confused!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:42 pm »

If you want total near boring safety, a dodge/gravity trap will do you well--build two staircases 10-15 z levels tall--one inside fort walls, one outside, connect them with a one tile wide pathway, liberally filled with weapons traps loaded with any quality and type of weapon (featherwood training spears will do as well as adamantine axe blades).  When anything hostile passes through it will definitely dodge at least once, and if it dodges it will almost definitely dodge off the passage, falling 10-15 z levels and exploding in a cloud of gore. For the thieves apply cagetraps on the fort end of the walkway. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 07:54:25 pm »

Pressure plates are amazing for large operations.  Step here, open a door there.  Step there, magma falls here.  Walk yonder, free beer appears!  Keeps dwarves and goblins confused!

Now I want to have beer as a liquid (handled like magma and water ingame), so I can flood my entrance with beer and my dining halls in magma!
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:14:35 pm »

Urist McMother has lost a child to booze lately.  Urist McMother has enjoyed a glorious booze mist lately.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 09:18:51 pm »

Track down the gobbo leader at his desert outpost, then send a squad of your best trained marksdwarfs to take him out.  Designate the sea as the appropriate dumping point for his corpse.  Instant satisfaction.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »

A goblin mill is a pretty good idea. Build a long hallway, line it with spike traps, put a door at each end, link each door to a pressure plate inside the tunnel, and watch as the goblins grind themselves to dust running back and forth along the hallway.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 10:21:33 pm »

Also good for marksman training.  Make one wall fortifications, and let marksdwarves take shots at them.
Pages: [1] 2