Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Does DF ever get challenging? (DF noob question)  (Read 4195 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Does DF ever get challenging? (DF noob question)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »

And that's the fun!  The challenge is in figuring out how to survive, and survive long enough to get a pump stack that's magma safe, especially difficult with no caverns.  Embarking on a glacier volcano is cheating.
Ice  + Cave in = Profit (unless there is the layer transform bug like I once had. I had dropped a layer of sand down to the magma sea level for glassmaking, but it transformed into clay {the soil layer beneath the sand} on the way down  :(  )

Actually, there is.

Spoiler: The Face of Evil (click to show/hide)

To truly be the face of evil, it needs to be purple.
Soaplent green is goblins!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 06:50:48 pm »

Er, now how do I do that with just my keyboard?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 07:44:42 pm »

Alt + Numpad1: ☺
Alt 15: ☼
Alt 240: ≡
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Character_Table

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »

To truly be the face of evil, it needs to be purple.

&&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&&&

There. Its purple. Kind of. Better?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 10:50:20 pm »

Let's go one better.

&

Baron Akdgsadsgsjd has mandated the construction of eighteen slade toy axes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »

Or worse.  Slade quivers.

Pistolero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 04:10:25 am »

You need to define challenging. Tell us a single player game you consider challenging and we can tell you if DF ever gets to that level of difficulty.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 04:53:40 am »

Unless you decide to trap the edges of your map with cage traps, Dwarf Fortress will get interesting as you play, especially once you've found your first mega/forgotten beast in the map. Maybe your over reliance in traps made you forget about your army? Maybe you commanded a dwarf to dig a small pillar deep underground and you forget about cave-ins? Maybe once you've struck liquid fire, you get all excited and pump it all up, miscalculating somewhere midway.

DF gets hard only if you fail to remember your goals and architecture. Or if you're lucky, a very bad string of madness involving a very friendly and famous noble who demands you to construct crystal glass statues and you decide to stage an accident, not taking into account that the other depressed dwarves are going to flip out in the next death.

Also, imposing a challenge on yourself will make things significantly harder, like making all the walls the same color and material, or using constructed walls to adorn your mountainhome.

Or giving the elves a wooden barrel, if you fancy that. (they will siege you later, bringing tons of perforating arrows.)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 07:45:26 am »

From what I understand, elves will never siege you in Vanilla.  They lack a diplomat position, required to declare war.  Humans will though.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 09:49:19 am »

Building up is several magnitudes more difficult than digging down.
I think you meant to say "annoying".
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: 1 2 [3]