Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Does DF ever get challenging? (DF noob question)  (Read 4197 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Does DF ever get challenging? (DF noob question)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 03:21:11 pm »

No Constructed (T)raps, No military, only engineered machines. Better yet, Make it automated, with no way to manually control it! Hope it doesn't malfunction!  :P
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »

Just start off the game with absolutely no skills, and absolutely no items on embark. You still get some wood from caravan, so, it's actually possible to survive on booze in an area without water.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »

Or search for adamantine and mine the whole spiral top to bottom. You should see some pretty !!!FUN!!! things.

!!!FUN!!! things as in HFS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »

In my current fortress, I'm going to try and set up a system to automatically flood the entrance hallway with magma when an enemy walks in, open up a new entrance hall, and cycle through them, automatically draining and resetting them.

Sadly I can't really automate FB capture-kill without GCSs , but oh well.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 03:52:51 pm »

Why not embark in interesting areas, such as volcanoes and/or aquifers and rivers?
Plenty of fun and Fun to be had!

I for one love building aqueducts and magmaducts that selectively flood the (carefully planned) siegers' entrances; I normally use water to push enemies against weapon traps and down deep, DEEP shafts...

If you use the Fortress Defense mod you're guaranteed regular sieges, especially when your fort starts getting rich, so you can experiment as much as you like!

Clamatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »

I agree that some of the nastier FBs are the scariest thing in vanilla.

The only trouble is that (especially given that) there really isn't much incentive to breach the caverns, unless you're on a glacier or something.  And even then you can wall off a section.  What do you get apart from cave spider silk and FB-related fun out of the caverns that you can't get elsewhere, anyway? Am I missing something?

Seems like it would be nice to have something you really want (e.g. a juicy ore maybe some kind of mithril thingy) in the caverns that you wouldn't want to give up - but would be hard to get via just walling off an area.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 04:31:37 pm »

I agree that some of the nastier FBs are the scariest thing in vanilla.

The only trouble is that (especially given that) there really isn't much incentive to breach the caverns, unless you're on a glacier or something.  And even then you can wall off a section.  What do you get apart from cave spider silk and FB-related fun out of the caverns that you can't get elsewhere, anyway? Am I missing something?

All of the underground soil you mined will start growing trees.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 05:04:57 pm »

Embark on a glacier.

EDIT: This is a challenge of a different sort.  Instead of being faced by incoming enemy forces and needing to put out a show of force, you instead deal with supreme resource scarcity.  For added challenge, turn off all caverns in worldgen, leaving you with a slab of ice, a slab of stone, and a puddle of magma as the only things to toy with.  Crops never grow on a glacier, any above-ground farm remains blank, and with no cavern, you can't get underground plants either.  Be prepared to subsist yourself on imported booze and food (modded dwarven entity.txt to allow them to use above-ground plants).  You population will be directly limited by your industrial output.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:07:46 pm by Girlinhat »

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »

Pumps don't require a mechanism.  Losing levers creates all kinds of fun on it's own, making water / magma working that much more !!FUN!!, while preventing all kinds of other tricks like rerouting baddies based on a pulling a bridge (although you can still accomplish the same thing forbidding hatches).
Hmmm no levers does sound like Fun actually.  However gears would still be required me thinks.  A no lever, no trap, fortress would rock though.  Next fortress, next fortress....

EDIT:  Oh yeah I was thinking about wells I think not pumps but it hardly matters.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »

Embark on a glacier.

EDIT: This is a challenge of a different sort.  Instead of being faced by incoming enemy forces and needing to put out a show of force, you instead deal with supreme resource scarcity. 
Firstly, chickens (though those don't give booze.)

Secondly, isn't it possible to melt ice into water by putting some magma directly beneath it, then apply imported seeds? (Though that has some fun of its own).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:43 pm »

Cavern seeds, yes, but above-ground seeds never grow on a glacier.  I'm not even sure you can mod any in.

And that's the fun!  The challenge is in figuring out how to survive, and survive long enough to get a pump stack that's magma safe, especially difficult with no caverns.  Embarking on a glacier volcano is cheating.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 06:01:55 pm »

While all comments thus far are valid, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the stuff we'll be getting next version. FD mod, player restrictions and FBs will keep him pre-occupied until then, but in the next version we've been promised 3 new sources of (randomly generated) hostiles. While not promised for next version, FBs will become even more messed up once the generator is updated with all the latest features that got added.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:39 pm »

Oh, well yes.  The shambling zombie hordes lead by werebadger vampires will wipe the floor with you.  Or rather, wipe you over the floor, face-first with a a streaking bloodstain, like a bearded paintbrush.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 06:15:05 pm »

Locate adamantine. Smelt some high-value stuff. It will attract sieges. A lot, of multiple kinds...
Not for the first time, I've wished this forum had an evil smiley face smiley.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 06:20:41 pm »

Actually, there is.

Spoiler: The Face of Evil (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3