Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: why isn't Mayday for 31.25 out yet?  (Read 3274 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: why isn't Mayday for 31.25 out yet?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »

Solifuge, who peaced out over all this, has had a big hand in Stonesense development, which I believe has been pivotal is promoting DF and attracting new players.  Then there are the great stories, projects, and games like Nist, Undergrotto, Adventure Man, Roll to Dodge, etc... that are cornerstones of the culture on these forums.

I don't know the full details of what went down.  I suspect no one really does, including Toady, Cap, Retro, and everyone else who's left.  I don't know whether the bannings were justified or not, though I did appreciate their contributions and I'm biased to think they should've had the benefit of the doubt.

Most of all I'm just sad to see them go.  And, to keep this from being a total derail, I'll say that I hope utility development on projects like Mayday's tileset and others isn't impacted too heavily.

I would rather complain about privileges on this forum based on ammount donated, tools developed, personal friendship or "great stories, projects and games".

I don't understand what you're getting at.  I'm not aware of anyone with forum privileges, and I don't know whether that would be a good idea or not.  Was this at issue in the big fight?

As many already said, Captain Mayday is not Mike Mayday and have nothing to do with the Mayday tileset. Stonesense and other tools are great and I love Stonesense, and I'm thankful on all who work on it, but it would not existed if not for DF, and it is not as pivotal as you may believe. DF got on PC Gamer UK year prior to Stonesense, after all.

I know they're different people. It was pointed out in this thread 3 times before you did it again.  I'm not saying work on Mike Mayday's tileset has stopped because of Captain Mayday's banning.  What I am saying, though maybe I didn't say it clearly enough, is that I hope the loss of some members of this community doesn't have a domino effect on others.  It's a shame we've lost the people who've been banned (Captain Mayday, Retro).  It's also a shame that some others have left the forums because of this drama (Solifuge, Jackrabbit, others).

I hate seeing friends fight IRL, and I hate seeing it happen online too.  I'm not interested in placing blame, taking sides, or re-creating divisive arguments.  Toady's work on DF is amazing, and the forums he's fostered and administers are a big part of one of DF's biggest draws for me: it's community.  I also appreciate the community's work on making the game more interesting and accessible with mods and utilities, and the culture that's arisen around the stories, projects, and conversation the community fosters.  It makes me sad to see conflict between the two.
At last, she is done.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why isn't Mayday for 31.25 out yet?
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 11:43:47 am »

To actually answer the OP, since amazingly no one else really did:

You can find an unofficial 31.25 Mayday graphics pack in the modding forum thread here. Unofficial because Mike Mayday hasn't had time to finish the new animals for the 'official' update, but in the meantime someone else took it upon himself to make a working 31.25 version (without new animals of course).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:49:11 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.
Pages: 1 2 [3]