Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: why isn't Mayday for 31.25 out yet?  (Read 3269 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why isn't Mayday for 31.25 out yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:04:20 am »

so what was all the hubabaloo about tileset reform and truetype fonts?  I thought one of these versions was going to be having separate truetype fonts and opening up additional tiles or even changing from the curses set to something flexable and extensable like the creature tiles?  i guess that stalled? 

I'm not opposed to non-ascii art, I just dont like getting plump helmets that look like trees, or rings that look like wells, or whatever other atrocities are in those pretty sets.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 02:31:27 pm »

???

You've never used a "pretty set" have you?

Because those "atrocities" don't exist if you install them right, and besides, how is it more "attrocious" for two things to share a tile than it is for a cat to look like "c"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 02:55:31 pm »

so what was all the hubabaloo about tileset reform and truetype fonts?  I thought one of these versions was going to be having separate truetype fonts and opening up additional tiles or even changing from the curses set to something flexable and extensable like the creature tiles?  i guess that stalled?
Yeah, Baughn was the one doing that, and he got a job that took up a lot of his time. He seems to be back around the forums a bit now, so hopefully he'll be able to get that finished at some point in the relatively near future.

I'm not opposed to non-ascii art, I just dont like getting plump helmets that look like trees, or rings that look like wells, or whatever other atrocities are in those pretty sets.
A good set won't do that, if properly installed. If you don't want to bother messing with installing it properly, just download a prepackaged version, and work from there. You'd still have to update saves, but Phoebus has a utility for handling that, and most others do as well.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:59 pm »

And as far as I know, Baughn has fixed the crash bug associated with TTF fonts.  It was something about memory access when using letters above the 127 ascii mark.

Next version should have those fixes... but god knows when we're getting the Shader render mode.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 05:20:50 pm »

Whoah, the Nist Akath dude got banned?

The times, they are a-changin'.
Wait, WTF?!? Can someone confirm this? I refuse to believe Toady would be stupid enough to do something like that... right? He wouldn't do this, and you must be mistaken, r-right?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 06:28:36 pm »

Previous page, Admin log that I linked, says pretty much all you need to know about it.

Ban Evasion, and assisting said evasion, is a serious offense.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 11:03:54 pm »

Wow, I didn't notice any of that go down.  I just read through a bunch of stuff for the past few hours.  I'm surprised and sorry to see such long-time and well-contributing members banned/leave.  I don't know if Mayday's tileset will be affected, but it seems like this recent tiff may have an impact on a few of the mods and utilities that help make DF popular and accessible.
At last, she is done.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 11:10:04 pm »

For everyone who wants more information, the Sad thread has some within the many pages of confused discussion.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43236.msg2202301#msg2202301
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:12:32 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 11:24:13 pm »

Specific Tilesets aren't general topics. They require a modification to the base game to exist, and when you talk about a single one you have become too focused.

Not sure why people love tilesets anyway. Don't make much sense to me. Graphics sets sure, but tilesets? Meh.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 07:03:35 am »

Wow, I didn't notice any of that go down.  I just read through a bunch of stuff for the past few hours.  I'm surprised and sorry to see such long-time and well-contributing members banned/leave.  I don't know if Mayday's tileset will be affected, but it seems like this recent tiff may have an impact on a few of the mods and utilities that help make DF popular and accessible.

You should be more worried of them upsetting Toady to the point he doesn't have any fun programming DF anymore. No DF, no reason for the mods and utilities.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 10:15:08 am »

A good set won't do that, if properly installed. If you don't want to bother messing with installing it properly, just download a prepackaged version, and work from there. You'd still have to update saves, but Phoebus has a utility for handling that, and most others do as well.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean here.  I've installed plenty of tilesets, and the problems I describe definitly exist.  Some of them are worked around by people that mod-out all the special accented characters, and some of it is improved by the "tile magic" stuff that colors the same image differently to represent different things, but there is still a fundamental problem where these sets take a generic image that adequately represents three different things, and make it represent one thing well, another thing poorly, and the third not-at-all.

I've installed Phoebus and IronHand boh recently, and they both had issues with the world map and with other characters in gameplay.  With all the solid-texture ground tiles, furniture ends up looking jarring with its black background.  Or capital X in the fonts has a wierd border, or if not then Bins dont blend in with the rest of the tiles.  Its just a mess and there are too many compromises.

With the Herrbdog/Guybrush ascii sets, everything looks consistantly like abstract carved stone representations.  its not perfect, but at least nothing in the ascii sets are jarring or glareingly out of place, and i dont have to mod-out the extended characters from the language files.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 03:37:35 am »

The only real probem is the world map, which I can always export in ASCII :).

The furniture doesn't have black backgrounds when you use a proper tileset with backgrounds for stuff.

Captain Mayday (who got banned) has nothing to do with Mike Mayday's tileset, and I am not sure which "a few of the mods and utilities" do you mean, since I know none associated with them. Also it probably takes a hell lot of effort to make Toady to ban you, because he always gives multiple warnings before doing something extreme.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 09:55:34 am »

and I am not sure which "a few of the mods and utilities" do you mean, since I know none associated with them.

How about VBASE, which is extremely useful (even if I appear to be the only person who uses it)? What about Legendary Lands?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:34 am »

Solifuge, who peaced out over all this, has had a big hand in Stonesense development, which I believe has been pivotal is promoting DF and attracting new players.  Then there are the great stories, projects, and games like Nist, Undergrotto, Adventure Man, Roll to Dodge, etc... that are cornerstones of the culture on these forums.

I don't know the full details of what went down.  I suspect no one really does, including Toady, Cap, Retro, and everyone else who's left.  I don't know whether the bannings were justified or not, though I did appreciate their contributions and I'm biased to think they should've had the benefit of the doubt.

Most of all I'm just sad to see them go.  And, to keep this from being a total derail, I'll say that I hope utility development on projects like Mayday's tileset and others isn't impacted too heavily.
At last, she is done.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 11:40:13 am »

Solifuge, who peaced out over all this, has had a big hand in Stonesense development, which I believe has been pivotal is promoting DF and attracting new players.  Then there are the great stories, projects, and games like Nist, Undergrotto, Adventure Man, Roll to Dodge, etc... that are cornerstones of the culture on these forums.

I don't know the full details of what went down.  I suspect no one really does, including Toady, Cap, Retro, and everyone else who's left.  I don't know whether the bannings were justified or not, though I did appreciate their contributions and I'm biased to think they should've had the benefit of the doubt.

Most of all I'm just sad to see them go.  And, to keep this from being a total derail, I'll say that I hope utility development on projects like Mayday's tileset and others isn't impacted too heavily.

I would rather complain about privileges on this forum based on ammount donated, tools developed, personal friendship or "great stories, projects and games".

As many already said, Captain Mayday is not Mike Mayday and have nothing to do with the Mayday tileset. Stonesense and other tools are great and I love Stonesense, and I'm thankful on all who work on it, but it would not existed if not for DF, and it is not as pivotal as you may believe. DF got on PC Gamer UK year prior to Stonesense, after all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3